Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maiden voyage with the FLXI sidecar

IMG_0302.jpgIMG_0304.jpgIMG_0308.jpgFlxi yoke angles 2.jpg

Ok fellas, after 9 years my FLXI sidecar made it's maiden voyage last weekend, attached to the 1919 Excelsior electric model! This sidecar was a mess when I bought it from Dave Minerva and the frame was broken as well as 8" too short to fit the X. I was able to take care of all that and get a new interior, courtesy of Bob Jones in Ohio. He copied the body and old interior pieces and can make them I believe. He lent me a rear mount to copy and I found the front at Davenport. Splash on some paint, stripes and patina and off we go!

I've ridden sidecars since I was 16 and have been looking forward to riding a Flxi ever since. To say that I was not prepared for the experince is an understatement! First thing that threw me was that I had to put my feet down when I stopped or the bike fell over! That just doesn't seem natural on a sidecar! For the first time ever I ran a sidecar over the curb, not once but twice! Veteran Davenport board tracker Jm Wall looked a bit pale after a ride in the Speedster sidecar and refused an offer to give it a whirl! He said "If you're having trouble, I'm not about to touch it!"

Started out from home and went 2 blocks to the church parking lot for practice. The first left hander was down right scary! The sidecar wheel and fender shuddered violently as did the rear wheel. I stopped, thinking I had a flat tire or a broken axle, everything looked fine. Practiced in the parking lot and every left turn gave the same results, as did some right hand turns. Jim Wall was on hand to observe and hopped in the sidecar for a better look.

We've concluded that there is way too much steering input on the sidecar wheel, causing the tire to skid sideways if you will. The pictures show that the sidecar wheel is turned in quite a bit when leaning over against the stop. Many don't realize it, but the Flxi principle not only leans the wheel but also steers the wheel in the direction of the turn. This is accomplished by the fact that the yoke on the sidecar side of the frame is rotaed clockwise 12 degrees when viewed from the sidecar fender. This tips the pivoting plane of that wheel forward which in turn turns the wheel when it leans to the side. This is clearly shown in Hugo Long's patent application drawings. In my case, there is way too much steering input, so back to the drawing board. All I can figure is that the front of the frame needs to be raised which will reduce the steering angle. This can be done by bending the front mount up, probably should have left it alone in the firat place! I bent it down in an effort to make the frame parallel to the ground, the good idea fairy came to me one night and dropped that plan in my mind, not sure what she was thinking!

Properly negotiating a turn with a Flxi appears to be a delicate balance of speed, handlebar steering input, lean angle, (which also determines the sidecar steering input), radius of turn and testicle size of the operator. I'm lacking on the latter so maybe that's the problem! I was able to negotiate a few right handers at about 25mph on a sweeping neighborhood street turn that felt sweet! However, even the slightest amount of additional lean threw things off. Add to it the fact that when you lean far enough to hit the adjustable stops, everything changes again! Now you have a rigid sidecar at a horrible lean angle and it doesn't turn anymore unless you drive it like a rigid sidecar (enter a curb jumping image here). In addition, the Flxi track width is 6" wider than my 24 chief rig and 8" wider than the knucklehead rig. I think I heard Jim mumble once or twice, something about getting too close to parked cars but I was too busy to pay attention to that, seemed minor compared to everything else going on at the time.

Plan to take the rig to Davenport and ride it around, so if you see me, flag me down but give me lots of room, I'm still learning how to handle this thing. Hope I can get it dialed in, it really should do better that this!

Gene

Gene, I'm sure you've checked this out but there is an interesting thread on 'The Jockey Journal' about Leaning Sidecars. You're probably very close to figureing it all out, but sometimes one word can trigger a productive direction. . . Or, you can regard your Ex/Flxi rig like a beautiful woman; great to look at, miserable to live with.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

afternoon Gene, great look n rig. you did a very nice job. would have liked to be there if for no other reason just to see the look on Jim's face.. ha
      i sure know nothing about the workings of a leaning side car. but looking at the photos, is it possible to rotate the axle forward and backward to change the rake of the kingpin (if you will) to add to or take away the self steer effect? gary
      gww57.com

Comment

Gary,

The only way to change the steering input is to lean the bike less, or raise the front of the sidecar frame. Raising the front will reduce the forward rotation of the sidecar yoke, thereby reducing the amount of steering input. I plan to do that tomorrow, then load up for Davenport! See you there!

Gene

Comment

Awesome!!! Flxi side cars are my Favorite, good luck Gene!

Comment

You are a braver man than I.... I know these have a long history and I bet it rides like a dream. But there is just something un-nerving about the whole way it works.

Gorgeous setup! Congrats. Any chance of some video posted? All the years of riding old bikes and I've never seen one 'riding.' Have a ball in Davenport, I bet you'll steal the show.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Well I guess it was'nt that bad, We where only going to hit the back of a parked car for certian only one time, the rest I could have leaned out and "tightened" up the shave on my face plus we only went up on the curb twice!! in truth it was quite fun just needs a bit of fine tuning.
              Jim

Comment

Fired up the smoke wrench today and restored the front mount to the correct lift angle of 28 degrees today. I blew up the picture in the parts book and measured the angle. I'm 100 % sure I have the correct mounts for Excelsior, based on the parts book and various pictures I have. This lifted the front connection of the sidecar about 2 1/2" which flattened out the right side knuckle pivot angle slightly, which is 12 degrees forward relative to the bike side pivot pin. Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, lifting the front of the frame will REDUCE the amount of steering input at the sidecar wheel. Measured toe in straight up and leaning 15 degrees left and right. There is a whopping 6" toe out when turning right and about 7" toe in when turning left. This is measured at the front and rear of the motorcycle, so about 7' long. Confused yet? Me too!

This is still way too much toe, or steering input. Took a quick ride and as expected, left turns are still horrible, sidecar and rear wheels shuddering uncontrollably. Maybe a slight bit better than before. Rights are not too bad. Loaded on the trailer for Davenport.

I believe there is simply too much forward rotation built into the frame on the right side yoke, which puts the steering into the wheel. This was a racing frame I believe, because it was 8" too short. This is perfect for the racers which have about 8-10 " of sidecar wheel lead, compared to 2 or 3 for a fixed sidecar. I'm wondering if the racers used a steeper degree of rotation in combination with the massive wheel lead.

So, I need to get some hard data from owners of racing as well as street FLXIS to determint that angle at the sidecar yoke. Anyone?????

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post
                  Fired up the smoke wrench today and restored the front mount to the correct lift angle of 28 degrees today. I blew up the picture in the parts book and measured the angle. I'm 100 % sure I have the correct mounts for Excelsior, based on the parts book and various pictures I have. This lifted the front connection of the sidecar about 2 1/2" which flattened out the right side knuckle pivot angle slightly, which is 12 degrees forward relative to the bike side pivot pin. Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, lifting the front of the frame will REDUCE the amount of steering input at the sidecar wheel. Measured toe in straight up and leaning 15 degrees left and right. There is a whopping 6" toe out when turning right and about 7" toe in when turning left. This is measured at the front and rear of the motorcycle, so about 7' long. Confused yet? Me too!

This is still way too much toe, or steering input. Took a quick ride and as expected, left turns are still horrible, sidecar and rear wheels shuddering uncontrollably. Maybe a slight bit better than before. Rights are not too bad. Loaded on the trailer for Davenport.

I believe there is simply too much forward rotation built into the frame on the right side yoke, which puts the steering into the wheel. This was a racing frame I believe, because it was 8" too short. This is perfect for the racers which have about 8-10 " of sidecar wheel lead, compared to 2 or 3 for a fixed sidecar. I'm wondering if the racers used a steeper degree of rotation in combination with the massive wheel lead.

So, I need to get some hard data from owners of racing as well as street FLXIS to determint that angle at the sidecar yoke. Anyone?????
                  Awesome, Gene, wish I were there!

Too much toe. Scale it out on paper, .. (big paper!) ... or we'll scratch lines in the dirt at d-port. yeah, scratch lines....

Comment

That is one fine rig you have there Gene! Thanks for taking us along for the ride! I dug out an old article from the Fall 1976 issue of "The Antique Motorcycle" that I thought may interest you. It doesn't have any "exact" angles mentioned but does have some riding tips that you may find handy.

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory,

I saw that reeprinted article in the AMCA when I was 15 and have been smitten by the Flxi dream ever since. So, 37 years later, finally get to ride one.

Anxious to learn what I've done wrong and get it squared away so I can actually ride the thing more than around the block making right turns only!

Davenport, Here I come. Sounds like it is going to be sweltering! Yippee!

Gene

Comment

Awesome Cory, well done - hey Gene do you know Dee Cameron? lives in Arizona, his Dad was JD - John Cameron. Dee has their Two Cam HD with flxi side car, believe his Dad rode it cross country. I remember Dee telling me their tricky to set up right. Anyway's I bet he could give you some good info, I have his contact info if you would like it, good luck.

Comment

Gene! It's nice to know that dreams can come true! Flxi's are about the coolest hack out there. Seeing as the sun is gonna be shining at Davenport, you'd better not forget your shades! For that and the camera flashes... that rig is gonna be a hit!

Glad you liked the article Tom. I always get a thrill out of reading stuff from that era.
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                          X