Please help identify this Sidecar body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identify this Sidecar body

A friend here in Western Australia has sent me a photo of his father on his 1939 U Harley with a sidecar attached. We are trying to identify the sidecar body. It was pressed aluminium body with a tonneau cover and was wide enough for one adult and a child. It also had a truck in the back. Not sure if it is a Goulding of some sort. Any help to identify it would be much appreciated. Regards
    G's fathers 1939 U.jpg

Rob

Hi Rob,

Not sure what it is but it isn't a Goulding sidecar, I can't remember where but it seems thst there was a company in Europe in the 30's-40's making aluminum bodys for their sidecars
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I don't know the name, but I have seen this before. It's British. Might be a Standard Swallow (precursor to Jaguar) or one of a number of makers who did very sophisticated sidecars. I seem to recall seeing/posting a picture of a similar sidecar on this forum. If you can get access to old copies of The Motor in the UK, they did great coverage of 'new' sidecars and bike products that appeared at the London Motor Show and Crystal Palace.

Steve Slocombe also might be a great source for info... But I don't think that's home-made.

Ignore my earlier post... your picture is great.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

My guess would be an Australian "Murphy" body on a HD chassis.
        I don't know about Australia but in NZ during this time one condition for obtaining "Import Licence" to import anything automotive was that you had to have some "local content".
        With motorcycles about the only thing that could be made for them to satisfy the Customs Authority was sidecar bodies so as a consequence from about 1928 on we didn't get Factory sidecar bodies.
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
        X