modifications to '60 CH for easier starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifications to '60 CH for easier starting

A few years ago, I sent a 1960 XLCH to a shop with the instructions not to return it until I could start it. Well, it is still there. We have added a magneto adjustment operated by the left handlebar grip - just like my KHK and Chief. I insist that the magneto and hot cams remain in the bike. I had hoped that a CV carb would work; however, the cams apparently interfere with the smoothness of air flow through the carb, causing it not to work. My local H-D dealer tells me to use a Zenith-Bendix carburetor. When I got the bike, it had an S&S carb on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain the ferocious nature of this old hot rod whilst making it easier to start. Trust me, I have already thought about making sure to park it at the top of a long, steep hill.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

No offense but it is the nature of the beast. If you have all your ducks in order as timing, spark, fuel etc... it will fire. The only weak link in the equation is the leg. All the ch's I've owned and rode all had different starting techniques to a certain degree. They are a big reason electric start became popular.
    1959 XLCH

Comment

I don't think you'll notice much difference in starting between a Bendix and an S&S E model. If you must run an S&S, skip the L and B models. The Bendix is a good carb, and will adapt easily to your CH. Try to find a 36mm example rather than the 38, use a 56220-58 throttle sleeve to reverse the throttle action.
      As Murph stated, they always were a bitch to start, that was part of the lore.
      VPH-D

Comment

You heard the old jingle, "Kix are for kids!" ? Well, kicks are for kids. If you pull the mag, correctly install a point timer and kick it over, it will start like a dream. Otherwise, leave it a magneto and sell it to some kid who can kick it.
        Been there. Done that. Had my kicks, kickstarting a magneto. Now, I'm too old. And you probably are, too. Long time gone.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

George!

The notion that any design of carburetor is incompatible is nonsense.
          Please call Mr. Davis in to bubble-test the manifold for you.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If you have everything perfect and dialed in, the motto was that it will start on the last kick every time.
            1959 XLCH

Comment

First is make sure mag is working right ,also do not bring motor up on compression too far or you will not get enough spin before mag fires.

Comment

Working...
              X