Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1913 Harley Sidecar... Need some parts and advice and help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1913 Harley Sidecar... Need some parts and advice and help!

I managed to find one of those things that just seems like a 'holy grail' and that is a fantastic-condition VERY early Harley Sidecar frame. I believe it is a 1913 - 1918 frame. Condition is superb with just surface rust and all the spring leaves are in amazing condition! Just a few miles from my place here... barn find.

There is no tub, but I am thinking about having some fun with it and doing a wicker sidecar... possibly even a chair type.

What I need... first, info:

Can this be made to fit a 1910 single frame? I believe it is a direct fit as the early sidecars were able to retrofit to the earlier bikes... Certainly, with the right amount of creativity, anything is possible. But I wanted to see if they were designed to be compatible. This would be to go on my '1910' Timeless replica HD that I have been having so much fun with...

Also would like some pictures from a parts book or some pictures showing installation, etc. Does such a thing exist that early in terms of a manual? Or does anyone have any good pictures of an early sidecar on a single?

Second... parts... I am find with repro stuff where I can get it... but I am going to need to buy (or borrow to copy... or get good drawings to make)

-- Mounting brackets to mount frame to bike.

-- Fender (Repro fine or a 'raw' rolling that I can put brackets on)

-- Wheel (or hub) including bearings, etc. There is one inner race still on the frame and it's the only thing really badly rusted... not serviceable. But I can also put together modern bearings on the spindle if I need to. I am wondering if a Timeless MC front wheel would fit or could be adapted. Again, with Time/$$$ anything is possible, but I don't want to modify the original frame 'cone' wheel stub if I can avoid it. Rather keep original things original.

-- Hub dust covers, etc.

-- Probably will need a foot step as well, though not sure if that year used one. I know L&W metals has steps for later bikes... but not sure if they are appropriate for 1913 frame.

Also, the guy I got it from has a superb original 1927 sidecar tub -- HD. Surface rust, but all there, no holes, foot step, etc. and you can even read the words Harley Davidson on it in several places. No original paint... or not much. But this is one of the best original tubs I have ever seen. It would clean up beautifully. PM me if interested... I can get pictures for you and put you in touch with the seller.

Thanks folks and cheers,

Sirhr

1913 was the FIRST year that Harley-Davidson offered a sidecar, if I remember correctly. Earliest pic I can direct you to is in the 1915 Harley models brochure reprinted in Earlyriders (1977 & 1982) on page 37. "Gondala type sidecar" had no step, but had a diamond-shaped passenger door, no doubt in consideration of the ladies' skirts. Also see page 169. Everyone has an old, dog-eared copy of Earlyriders, don't they?

The Harley Co. beefed up their frames in 1913 because earlier frames weren't considered stiff enough to haul a sidecar. Good luck with retro-fitting one to a 1910 !
    Last edited by Sargehere; 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Step right on up son! Now what can I sell you? Sirhr, from what I've seen, I'm the only person in the world that makes early JD side car parts other than the tub. Goto our E-bay store at the good old motorcycle parts company and click on JD/Early sidecar. A lot of the stuff I make is there but there are others that are not. I can pretty well walk you through this real easy. e-mail me some pictures of what your missing. bob@thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com or 201-683-8977. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

L&W, Merle Wolfe, is building the entire bodies, again. For a while, I didn't see the early bodies on his website, but they're there, now:

1913-14

1915-17

These are photos right off his website. Merle does outstanding work. He built my 1936-style LE body and interior, and accessory door, and windhield and tonneau cover, and I couldn't be happier, so between Bob Luland and Merle Wolfe, you would seem to have it covered, Sirhr.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Good score Sirhr!!!! You've got all kinds of options with the direction you appear to be going.... here's a little earlier version of chair fun!!!

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Cory:

That is what I have in mind... I know it can be done... I see much fabricating in my future! This helps!

Sarge: Was at L&W even before I made the deal on the frame. Agreed, their stuff is very nice. I am tempted to do a metal tub, but I have a fascination with the old wicker work... My other option, since I already have a period Maxim is:

motorcycle with gun 3.jpg

This has a Colt M1895 Potato digger... but they were done with Maxim's as well.

Seriously thinking about putting this on the sidecar frame:

maxim 5.jpg

It would cut down on tailgating...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

AAAHHHH, to long to live in a free state. Just looking at it is a felony here now.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Some pictures. Bob Luland... PM inbound as I looked at eBay items. I think you have a bunch of what I need, but trying to get some drawings or a parts book picture...

FYI, the rust on the pictures looks far worse than it is in person. It's in amazingly solid condition!

^^^ Hub information will be helpful. Anyone? I can machine up and fab virtually anything and could probably get a spare front wheel from Timeless MC Company. But don't know if it would be a direct fit or if I would need to make a new stub axle, or whether I should get an original (or repro hub) and string up a suitable wheel. What should I use here? Note that there is still an inner bearing race there. It's beyond hope. The only rusted part on the frame I don't think I can salvage and expect I'll have to cut/crack it off. If it's NOT a separate race, let me know! But based on the rust and the 'look' of it, I suspect it is a pressed on hardened bearing race.

This is interesting: This is one of my Xonex models of, I think, a 1916 Harley. Great models. Expensive nowadays, but when they first came out noone wanted one and they were dirt cheap on eBay. This will be a great help in fabricating... though hopefully Bob Luland can supply the ends I need!

Attached Files

Comment

Sirhr, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a parts manual that I scaned. Bob
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                  X