Bob Reko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Reko

It’s with deep sadness I write of my father Robert R. (Bob) Reko’s passing. The Lord took him home on February 17th 2013.
    Dad’s interest in motorcycles went way back to his early days. While stationed on the USS Monterey in Florida he got his 1st bike. After being honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy, he rode a 1947 Indian Chief from Pensacola Florida to his home in Kenyon Minnesota some 1100 miles. Stopping only for food and gas, he was an original Iron-butt rider. Shortly after he got back home, he met my Mother fell in love and married. Six children later and family life may have distracted him from his hobby but I can’t recall a time when there wasn’t a motorcycle parked in the garage, barn or hidden under a tarp in the yard. Over the years he passed this passion for two wheels on to many friends and family. Many first time riders would have heard his assuring words” give her a little gas and let the clutch out slowly” as we jerked away to stall or tip over. But he was always there to pick you back up and encourage you to try again.
    His involvement with the sport included many years in the Shriner’s motorcycle units where he rode in competitions and served as President of the Greensheens. At one point he held the record time for the slalom course and proudly proclaimed he was the "fastest man in Florida ". He made rides and attended rallies all over the country, with a special fondness for the Blue Ridge Mountains Maggie Valley N.C. area, his second home.
    Somewhere in his travels he found an old Indian Chief for sale and re-kindled his passion for the Indian motorcycle. He went on to restore other Indians, Henderson and even a Harley. But you never forget your first love and for Dad, that was the Indian. The last few years he was unable to ride the bikes, but that too was only a distraction as even recently he was telling me of a possible barn find Indian Four that he heard was stashed away in Ohio.
    As a member of the AMCA riding, restoring and hanging out with those who shared this passion was a great joy. He loved the old bikes, the rides, the stories, but mostly the friends and camaraderie that he found in this club. A member for over 30 years, Dad served a President of the then Florida Chapter. He was always involved in the Sunshine Chapter’s spring meets making arrangements for the banquets, parking vendors etc. He could be seen at the meet chatting with friends in front of the closed trailer that hid the bike he had promised my mother he would sell.
    We miss you Dad, but know you're in a better place now and probably out riding thru some twisty back roads of heaven with old friends. Ride in peace.
    Rob

That's the most touching father tribute I've read. Your father was one-of-a-kind, and I'm proud to have known him. Rest in Peace, Bob!
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Well said, my condolences to you and your family.

Comment

Very well said Rob. All the best to you and your family.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I remember Bob Reko from the old Winter Park, Howard Johnson's meets. I didn't know Bob very well, but he was always a gentleman and a fellow antique motorcycle lover, and that puts him at the top of the list in my book. My deepest condolences to his family, and friends.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

May he rest in peace
            Denise

Comment

Working...
            X