Delco 16 horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco 16 horn

I have a Delco 16 horn with a broken bracket. It is broke right next to the washer with the delco 16 stamped on it. Any advice on how to remove the washer and old bracket and replace with a new bracket would be greatly appreciated. I hate to jump right in and mess it up, so I would rather learn from other peoples mistakes and experiences.

Well, I've sure made plenty of mistakes on these. The horn was introduced in 1931 and ran right through to the Hummer years in various guises. It sounds like you have one of the 1942 and up military style with the two ear bracket, with one ear busted off. I've converted a couple of these to VL horns by de-riveting the bracket, discarding it, then riveting the round washer back. I worried about damage to the armature but got away with it. Today I'd just Dremel off the bracket and hope those darned judges don't notice. The military bracket is now available as a spare part, but I'd worry about having enough metal left to re-form the riveted surface. You can duck the repair by selling what you have and finding an unbroken one...

Comment

Working...
    X