Indian Spark Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Spark Plug

Hi Guys I am looking for a good picture of the Indian Spark Plug that they used on the Hendee Special that Cory posted in another thread. Going to get a new tat and want to tie that in with it. Thanks for any help!!

Hmm... I've posted a few different Hendee Specials over the years. Are you looking for the actual Indian plug or the Splitdorf?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

The one with the Indian Head logo on it.

Comment

For the life of me I can't recall the photo. I can't seem to recall the plug at the moment either. I've seen the Edison Splitdorf and the Champions in that vintage of Indian and of course the script type plugs on later models. I'll pay attention and maybe in the meantime someone will round up the image you want.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory it's in this thread http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...Hendee-Special

Comment

O.K. now I remember!!! It must be the sometimers.... sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't!!! I went back and tried to enlarge that small plug photo but it only wanted to distort. It looks a lot like an Edison plug with an Indian head on the porcelain. I'll keep my eyes open for a better image though...
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory

Comment

Please check my recent spark plug article on Indian plugs and look at the picture of the Indian script Bethlehem 775 plug. This was probably the plug used, not the one in the picture, which I have seen many times (has the head of an indian chief), but the Bethlehem Indian script is ultra rare. The Bethlehem plugs are documented to have been made during the period the Hendee Special was available, at least as early as 1915 based on info available about the Bethlehem factory, if not earlier.
                Also, the size of the plug shown is typical of smaller sized plugs (same thread size) but the body of the plug does not appear to be in keeping with the bulky earlier type plugs. The 775 fits that description. Marty

Comment

bikerdds do you have a picture of the Indian head plug? I am not really thinking about what it went in but I want to get a tattoo with that plug. Where could I find the article I would love to read it!

Comment

I think it was the fall and summer 2012 issues. Check for the picture of the Bethlehem plug. It is the earliest known Indian script plug, and is from the teens to early twenties. The Indian head with the chief headress I do not believe is an Indian motorcycle plug. No info to support this has ever come across my desk, that's for sure. The Indian script was particular to Indian and used into the late forties on 14mm plugs, but unknown for how long in the teens and twenties. Bethlem was bought out in the early 20's, and the name disappears. Have not seen anything from the mid-late twenties with the Indian name until Edison in 1935.

Comment

Marty, those were great articles the first time around and I just read them again. Did you come across much in the way of pre-15 info in your research?

Phillie, if your heart is set on that particular plug then I would show the image to the artist and take a better version of the Indian head logo with you as well. A good artist could help you out easy enough I'm thinkin'...
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

I'll keep hunting. He is a great artist he has 13 books out so drawing it up won't be an issue. I just want the best possible picture. Thanks for your help and Marty thanks for the articles.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Cory and phillie.
                          I found out about the early script plug by accident, as there really is no documentation that I have been able to find for any further verification. I was a result of an ebay auction, then found the NOS plug I have now
                          Bethlehem plugs was around from early teens until early twenties and bought out. Their script pkug is the first known use of the script on an Indian spark plug. It is a large thread plug. Someone else has run one on ebay for some ridiculous amount and it is not in great shape, but has a different shaped base. Only two I have seen so far.
                          This is the type of stuff that needs re discovery, as we no longer have the living to ask on some of this. This is the kind of history that really excites me- the small details that are normally forgotten. It was the same with the Indian batteries.

Comment

I've been looking through modern day photos of pre-15 machines. Most have later or modern type plugs it seems. I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for this detail now. I agree Marty, this can be exciting stuff!!!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, what originally sparked my desire for discovery was when activly judging, we always had the next best alternative rule used when reproduction parts were totally unavailable. This was primarily the disposables, especially batteries. When the battery was as obvious on all Indians after 1932, it was a must if nothing else, for proper cosmetics. Then a number of years ago, just like I mentioned ,Robin threw up to me when describing a project that was really complete, what was I going to do about the spark plugs? It became clear- the motorcycle really needs all the stuff- plugs, battery/battery case, tools, original manual, and original brochure, year of manufacture plate. To me, this is real concours now and restoration at it's best. At the same time, it really is preservation of the total machine- all aspects of it. Really separates the men from the boys. Of course, not everyone is as anal compulsive as me on some of this. Discovering the info and making it available was how I channeled my energy when the judging situation frustated me that I had to give back in a different way. I hope to have an article that better shows dimmer switches for the 35-53 period sometime next year. Again, many have never seen some of these. Many are extemely rare in any condition. Other than the 41-48 dimmer, most were crap and rarely survived. As mentioned- exciting stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X