Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salts Flats Front Fork , What was he thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salts Flats Front Fork , What was he thinking?

I bought some parts from an old Salts Flats rider and this front end was one of the parts. I was told he was going to put it in a 1934 Chief frame with a 39 Chief motor and run it on the salt flats. I bought those parts also.
    Crazy work on the fork? What do you think? Looks like a chopper fork? Way heavy. Would it brake off at the first hard bump? Would it hold the front end down so you could do 160 MPH?
    The frame has been hand sanded? Way to many hours in to that. It also has had something done to it on the neck? Anyone have a picture of how it should look? Why did they brass it? Do they crack there? The tanks fit. The numbers look good but I think it may have a twist to the frame. Will have to get the big pipe out to bent that one. You don't need all the new $100K frame straingthing stuff. Chain it down and bend it.

The pictures.IMG_4657.jpgIMG_4635.jpgIMG_4638.JPGIMG_4641.jpgIMG_4642.jpg

Comment

IMG_4658.jpgIMG_4653.jpgIMG_4654.jpgIMG_4655.jpgIMG_4656.jpg

Comment

And here are the heads and cases.IMG_4701.jpgIMG_4691.jpgIMG_4694.jpgIMG_4697.jpgIMG_4698.jpg
        My e-mail is marsh1915hd@msn.com
        I am going to sell these parts. Seen a frame like this with no numbers and some miss tabs sell for $4,800 the other day, Crazy. U.S. $ is worth very little. It's all going out of the U.S.

Comment

Well I have given you Club members first Look at the parts and no one is interested ? So they are going on Evil bay with there twin Pay Pal rip off's.

Comment

Originally posted by marsh1915hd View Post
            Well I have given you Club members first Look at the parts and no one is interested ? So they are going on Evil bay with there twin Pay Pal rip off's.
            My guess is the frame had the neck repaired for a crack.I wouldnt trust it unless I took it down to the frame and checked it out.
            Everthing else looks stock.The neck went to solid casting,I believe ,in 36.The numbers may be the original and were restamped after repair at rear axle mount,but they dont appear to factory stamping.
            Tom

Comment

Indian made so many frames, very few the same. Yes that is what I was think on the frame repair. I don't know about the numbers. It looks like they welded on the axle mount pad but i could not see any welding on the number pad.

Comment

Originally posted by marsh1915hd View Post
                Indian made so many frames, very few the same. Yes that is what I was think on the frame repair. I don't know about the numbers. It looks like they welded on the axle mount pad but i could not see any welding on the number pad.
                You may be right,but my 34 has round top 3,and closed 4,so mabe different stamp sets at the factory.I was also suprised at the 4k number.I didnt think that many 34's got produced.But numbers are the least of that frames problems.Good luck
                Tom

Comment

Thanks for the input. It will be in a bike some day. I don't think there is anything that hard to fix on it. That brass with melt right off and i would say that there must be a crack or they would not have welded it. The guy was a millwright so he fixed everything he had. LOL
                  And yes if the number are that diffrent something is going on.

Comment

Working...
                  X