Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Yankee Region Road Run -- Stowe, Vermont weekend, June 28 - 30, 2013

Folks:

Over about the last couple of months (since the Pewter Run) we have been working with Dan Margolian of the Yankee Chapter to organize a road run weekend for next year. We're still in the planning stages, but have finalized dates and a pretty good agenda for a 2013 Road Run weekend in Vermont. This will certainly be the first time in quite a while that there has been a weekend AMCA ride up in Northern New England, so hoping to bring out a lot of folks!

The meet will be based near Stowe, Vermont. So there is a wide variety of lodging ranging from free camping in my farm fields to four-star resorts and everything in between. We have a ton of different lodging options to fit any possible budget. Stowe is also a very family-friendly town in a family-friendly area, so there is a lot to do if you want to come with the family.

We're planning a short 'arrivals' ride for Friday; a longer day ride on Saturday to the Shelburne Museum (through some spectacular back roads). The Saturday ride will be followed by a Pig 'Pickin (North Carolina style). Sunday we'll have a morning 'dawn patrol' ride and a brunch.

And if there is one thing I have learned... calendars fill up fast! We hope you will put this on yours early! If you have any interest in attending, drop me a note or post a response here and I'll get you on an e-mail list and a mailing list so we can get out materials and sign you up!

BTW, in the past 2 years, we've had the Brass and Gas tour (more than 150 pre-1916 cars) and the North American Steam Car Tour (about 50 steam cars) up here for events. We're pretty experienced at putting on runs for early vehicles... so you definitely won't be disappointed!

Thanks to Dan Margolian for giving us the opportunity to host this event!

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 12-06-2012, 06:32 AM. Reason: grammar

Hmmm.... This sounds pretty interesting!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      Hmmm.... This sounds pretty interesting!
      It does doesn't it? I wish heaps of success for this event. It sounds like the makings of a good one! To the folks that will be there... don't forget your cameras for us arm chair spectators!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Received several inquiries already!

I should note that there is ample trailer parking for those who won't be riding up. And an unloading ramp area that makes getting bikes out of pickup trucks really easy.

And there is plenty of space at the farm to park motorhomes or campers (but no hookups.) For those who want campground facilities, the GoldBrook Campground on Rt. 100 in Stowe, VT is a bit over a mile away.

For those who do plan on riding up, the meet site is less than a mile from Vermont Route 100. This road is consistently voted among the top 5 - 10 Best Motorcycling Roads in America. It winds almost the full length of the state and is utterly spectacular for bikes. Parts of it are brand new as well, having been re-paved after Hurricane Irene. So some glass-smooth sections for you.

For those not riding up, we are 10 minutes away from Interstate 89 North. Very easy in/out even with campers or trailers.

Cheers,

Pierce

Comment

FYI, the 'main' hotel/motel for the meet will be The Golden Eagle lodge in Stowe.

They have a block of rooms reserved and a special rate. Ask for the Antique Motorcycle Club of America rate. Info on the motel is at: www.goldeneagleresort.com . They are within walking distance of the village and more than 20 restaurants ranging from pizza, chinese and burgers to high-end dining. There is ample trailer parking. Also spa, breakfast restaurant, across the street from movie theater, etc. Phone number is (802) 253-4811. The Golden Eagle is less than two miles from the main meet site and Pig 'Pickin.

For those looking for a full-service campground, Nichols Lodge and Campground is just 1 mile from the main meet site. (802) 253 2929. They are right on Route 100, just outside Stowe Village. Bring a gold pan if you are into that... because the Gold Brook that runs next to the campground is panned all summer long and flakes are always found.
          Info about the lodge online: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nichol...19934778019822

Other information on the area, reservations or hotels/motels: www.gostowe.com

We already ordered a 150 LB pig. He will be named Magnum P.I.G. And he will be delicious.

I've had several inquiries already from as far away as PA! For some driving distances... we are about 4 hours by car from Boston. Four hours from Hartford. We are about 6 hours from NYC. From Harrisburg, PA, if you leave at 5 AM, you will be in town by about 2:30 pm. From Montreal we are 2 hours. From Albany about 3.5 hours. From Portland, Me. about 3-3.5 hours.

More to come...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sounds like fun. Would like to attend if I am able.
            Buzz Kanter
            Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
            [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
            [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

More coming together on this... so make sure it gets on your calendars!

Friday there will be two 'short' rides to accomodate people who arrive during the morning or early afternoon. The first is to Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory, which is about 10 miles away. The tour includes (naturally) lots of ice-cream and a visit to the "Flavor Graveyard" a real graveyard where they pay hommage to all the flavors that they no longer make, including my favorite "Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz." No relation to Mr. Kanter.

The second Friday ride will be through Smugglers Notch, which is a really challenging ride and probably not recommended for those who are not really comfortable on or familiar with your machines. However the Brit bike riders I met on the Pewter Run will probably spend hours going back and forth through the notch until dark... The road is amazing and the views are spectacular. For those who do not want to go all the way to through, there are turnarounds and the Toll Road to the top of Mount Mansfield offers a more sedate mountain experience.

For Saturday, we have a route laid out of the Shelburne Museum and tickets will be included when you register for the road run weekend. And Saturday Night, looks like we have a band that will be playing the Pig 'Pickin!

More to come... and I've already gotten strong interest from a number of people. We'll be getting information packages and postcards out after Christmas. But put the dates on your calendar now. Summer weekends fill up fast in New England and you won't want to miss this.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

host a ride they will come this is a great area for riding and i hope there is good weather. vermont rt 100 one of the best roads in vermont and stowe right in the heart of the ski country smugglers notch is a great ride . this kind of chapter activity is the kind of thing that being a member should be about and want to thank the folks in vermont and also jessie and mike lingley for foregoing this years maine camp and ride .count the Bergerons in and thanks

Comment

Looking like we can make it up for a day or two. Thanks for the effort on this! Make sure you harass my wife for not having an old bike too!!

Comment

Any "new" news?
                    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

This weekend we should have some registration stuff together and ready to mail out.

We also have a Facebook Page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/46...36559/?fref=ts

There is a good chance that our Lt. Governor (race car driver and vintage bike owner) will ride a Panhead with the group to the Shelburne.

The Brough Superior Club is definitely listing this as one of their "Go To" events for 2013. So we should have a bunch of spectacular Broughs. And the Vincents, I hear, won't be out-done by the Broughs.

Now if we can just get the Henderson Four's... ;-)

Shaping up to be a spectacular weekend!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks Sirhr! Sounds great!
                        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Just by way of update... if you have received your latest magazine, you will see our ad appeared. And thanks to support from the Brough Superior Club, our ad is in their latest international newsletter!

We have some postcards that we made up as well and Dan Margolian will be mailing them out in the Yankee Chapter!

For those who have sent me e-mails... you are all on the attendee list and we have our forms/letters done and should be sending them out this coming week. So far, about 20 people on the attendee list and many more inquiries!

Look forward to see tons of people and some cool bikes!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Envelopes with registration paperwork are addressed and going out tomorrow!

There is still space for bikes and riders... we really want to make this a memorable event!

Drop me a note if you are interested in attending and I will get you the sign-up stuff.

Going to be a great weekend!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Visit and friend us on Facebook!

Ride through time, stowe Vermont!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                              X