XLCH Magneto Mount Plates & Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLCH Magneto Mount Plates & Seals

I am removing the 1965 and later adjustable magneto adaptor plate (P/N 29600-65) from my 1964 XLCH and am installing the original (fixed) adaptor plate (P/N 29600-62). The problem is that the gasket kit that I purchased (OEM H-D) has only one magneto seal that mounts in the cam cover beneath the shoulder of these adaptor plates, and it appears to be the seal for usr with the later model adaptor plate only.

The Shoulder on the later adaptor plate (that protrudes into the cam cover boss) is about 0.240" long. The shoulder on the older (correct) plate is longer, approximtely 0.365". As a result, when using the correct, older adaptor plate with the seal installed, the seal is squashed down and its I.D. reduced such that the magneto shaft will not pass through.

The replacement gasket kit is 'Genuine' H-D, and is intended for use with all early Sportsters, but it has a '71 part number. However, the kit really is complete and does include all of the gaskets, seals and O-Rings for all early-year Sportsters. But it has only one type of magneto seal, which appears to be used with the later plate only.

I do seem to rember encountering this glitch years ago when I did this stuff for a living. If my cob-webbed memory serves me, I seem to recall another magneto seal that was used with earlier, fixed magneto plate which was more shallow and squared-off and looked something like the kicker shaft seal used in the left motor case. Is this correct? If so, can anyone give me the part number as I cannot find this seal (if it even existed) in my early Sportster Parts Book.

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

The seal that goes under the early magneto plate is p/n 29603-48. Your memory about being 'squared off' is correct, sort of like the early Big Twin kicker cover seal. I think I have a couple of these seals. BTW, what -71 gasket kit are you referring to?
    VPH-D

Comment

You are right and I stand corrected...I just went downstairs and looked t the orange and white box and although it does say 'Genuine' and although it looks like a harley box.....It's by James. I must have purchased it years ago and didn't look at the box very carefully - or I didn't care as James is a very good Manufacturer. This its a very good gasket set.

As for the seal, thanks for reinforcing my memory. I can pick those seals up from one of my sources.

Thanks for responding....
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
      X