KHK Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHK Spark Plugs

My Harley-Davidson reprint K Model operator’s manual does not specify what spark plugs (or gap) these bikes should have. Rather, the owner is advised to go to their local Harley dealer. That may be good for business, but does not help the owner who wants to maintain his machine.

The spark plugs recommended by my local Harley dealer, who is an experienced KHK rider, was (of course) Harley’s own brand with the number designation “3-4.” Because the need for a spark plug can come at a time and place where a Harley parts counter is not available, it is necessary to find out just what sort of spark plugs will work on the Harley-Davidson Model KHK.

The next place (after the Harley dealer) to look is to see what plugs are in the bike now. A local mechanic had put Champion N5C (Autolite AU996 is similar) in the engine. This is a long reach plug with threads extending well into the combustion chamber. The ceramic center is below the lip of the threads. The center electrode has about the same exposure as the H-D 3-4. I like having the spark deep in the combustion chamber, but am uneasy about having exposed threads that might crud up and make the spark plugs difficult to remove.

Fortunately, Vintage Iron Riders has several K and KH model riders who are willing to share their knowledge about these bikes. Harvey is using the Harley number 7 plug; however, H-D no long has that plug.

Emerson uses the Champion J8H. The local auto parts stores tell me they cannot get this plug. The J8C plug used for flathead Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engines (also made in Milwaukee) is similar.

Mike S. runs the daylights out of his KH motorcycles. He uses NGK B7HS or B6HS plugs. The higher number is supposed to be the hotter plug; however, Mike does not see any difference in service or performance. If the NGK plugs are not available, Mike will use the Autolite 85 or Champion J12Y.

When I compared the Champion J12YC (the J12Y with a copper core) to the Harley 3-4, I found they were identical. In fact, they both had “876”) stamped on the base. Apparently, they are both made by Champion. The J12YC is made in Mexico and costs $2; whereas the Harley 3-4 is made in USA and costs $4.

Because I am running through spark plugs in an attempt to tune the Linkert carburetor on my KHK, guess which plug I have elected to use? When Mike Scarborough and the local Harley shop (and KHK) owner both agree on essentially the same plug, who am I to disagree? After a recent 300+ mile run this fall, the KHK has had no plug related problems with the J12YC plugs. Well, there is a soot problem that I will ask for guidance on in a later post.

By the way, the Harley 3-4 plugs come with a ~0.03+ gap; so, that must be the correct setting for that plug.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

One thing about some modern plugs that you can't see from the outside is the "Pre Gap" or Resistor inside the insulator. Take a used non H-D plug and break the porcelain with a hammer and see if it has the "Pre Gap". H-D plugs do not have a "Pre Gap".
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The J12Y was equivalent to the 3-4, as is the J12YC, a more modern version. H8 is equivalant to the 4, H8C is the modern number. I believe the C suffix denotes copper core, but don't quote me on that.
      My '63 K and Sportster parts book lists numbers 2, 3, and 4 plugs for use in XL, XLH, and K, KH models. I always use H-D 3-4 plugs in Panheads and H8 type in my wife's XLH. I would buy the no. 4 from H-D, but they replaced it with a 4R, which is intended for the large gap [040] electronic ignition models. I would think your plug gap should be 8, like other Twins.
      VPH-D

Comment

The front head puked the plug; so, I had to have it repaired and the rear head checked. It turns out these heads have KD type spark plug inserts that fill the spark plug hole and require a long reach spark plug. My machinist/mechanic tells me these are now essentially KR heads. Anyway, I intend to use a long reach plug such as Champion N5C or Autolite AU996. Otherwise, the spark plug electrodes will be hidden deep in the insert and cannot be expected to ignite the gas/air mixture in the combustion chamber reliably. I hope this makes sense and, more importantly, I hope it works!
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
        X