101 Mag Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 Mag Timing

Hi All, trying to get my 101 as a more regular rider, now that it is beginning to cool off down here in Texas.
    My 101 starts easily, but seems to get overheated and tired quickly. (I guess I could say that about myself too!). It seems to run best fully retarded, so I suspect that the mag may be off a tooth too advanced.
    Per the workshop manual page 33B, I set the front cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke, fully retarded, but by then the points are well open and the rotor is well past the start of the brass pickup in the cap (see photo at TDC). The book says that, once at TDC, "The magneto shaft, keyway up, is then rotated in the working direction until the distributor finger approaches the position of the number one segment of the distributor block"

In the TDC photo, the distributor finger seems to be just past 3 o'clock. The pickup in the cap seems to be at about 2-4 o'clock.

Am I way advanced at TDC?
    If so, ho do I reset it?
    Thanks for any direction,
    Mark

mag.jpghttp://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=9454&d=1347800155&thum b=1&stc=1
    '27 Scott Flying Squirrel, '30 Indian 101 Scout, many 60's to 80's others
Working...
X