TourPak Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TourPak Problem

I have a "vintage" tourpak, the small white style from the late 60's early 70's. One of the first ones anyway. The lock had been giving me some trouble and last time out can't open/unlock. Key goes in then hangs just as it starts to turn. Kind of feels like the cam hook on the inside is sticking. Lots of jostling and fiddling to know avail. Only have one key and afraid of breaking it off.

Anyone know if these keys were all different? I think they were but not sure. Numbers on my key are L54G and L667. Is anyone aware of someone who is making these keys? I can check with a locksmith I suppose.

Otherwise - any ideas on how to get this dang lid off? Figure I may have to end up drilling out the cylinder. For now I have it popped off the rack and sitting on the shelf until I figure out what to do.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Ray,
    Did you spray lube in the lock? Lots of it? They tend to freeze up with dirt and vibration. Are you pushing down hard on the top when trying to unlock it? The hook on the tumbler can hang up on the lid catch, give it all the help you can. They are far more prone to coming loose than sticking shut. Don't drill or destroy it until you have tried everything. And any decent lockshop can make a key. It is a very basic lock very similar to cabinet locks.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The keys are not all the same, they're marked LL123 and such. I think the key is the same as an XLCH magneto key.
      VPH-D

Comment

Rub/VPH-D thanks for the tips/info. The lid and the gaskets are new. Will get a couple extra keys made first then play with it a gain. I was pushing down on the lid, actually even working the lid a bit as best as possible. Will try the lock free stuff too. But it seems like the cam is hanging up inside. Definitely want to try a bunch before drilling out the lock.

Want to get some keys made first so I don't break the only one I have. It was actually starting to twist on me.

Up until my post it would tighten just at the end of the turn when locking. Just had to work the lid a bit and it would move that final 16th of a turn then lock. Rough first 1/16th of rotation when unlocking etc. I was just chalking it up to the new gaskets and it seemed previous that if I pushed down on the lid it would "home" or "start" etc. Now though it goes that 16th rotation and nothing I could do (jostle, push down on the lid, etc, etc) will get it to complete rotation to open.

Thanks again. I really think - and if feels like it is the hook binding when in the locked position or entering it.
        Last edited by rbenash; 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

The key will move that much from free play in the tumbler. The hook isn't the problem, the key is! A good locksmith can make a key to retract the pins enough to work. Yours doesn't!!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It's a very simple lock. Worn key or tumblers will cause that. That lock is VERY easily pickable and can be opened by yourself or by any locksmith at least to deal with the problems. Key blank from that era is readily available. I *think* was a Briggs/Stratton pattern used on a lot of lawnmowers, etc.

So just take the tourpack or bike to a locksmith and they will sort it in no time.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I will be messing with this shortly.

Lucky for me as it turns out I also found an NOS complete early Tourpak in the box with all the hardware complete/unopened. At least I have a visual now. I will probably be mounting/using this NOS pack as it also has the locking rail. All of the hardware was still wrapped and in the bags. The pak is pristeen and still has the 25lb pressure sticker. Has the original B&S keys and tumblers.

Wondering if anyone has the instruction/install sheet that they could fax or copy and send?? Please PM?

It's a 53300-69 Tourpak. I believe this is a first year Tourpak not sure.

I will definiitely still be fixing that other pak. I did not have a locking rail. I now have a copy to work from if I want to make one. Maybe find a pair of replacement tumblers.
              Last edited by rbenash; 09-25-2012, 01:48 PM.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

send me a PM about your key.

Comment

PM sent - thanks.
                  Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

Did you get this solved? For you or anyone else that may have a similar problem, it seems a bit cleaner to drill out the hinge rivets to get the lid off if a proper key doesn't work. No need to destroy the lock as a first step.
                    Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by dommi7 View Post
                      Did you get this solved? For you or anyone else that may have a similar problem, it seems a bit cleaner to drill out the hinge rivets to get the lid off if a proper key doesn't work. No need to destroy the lock as a first step.
                      Thanks Ralph. No haven't had the time to play with this yet. Going to get a couple key blanks and have some extra keys made first. If lubricating the lock doesn't work and I can't get it open with the key. Drilling the rivets out of the hinges was my thought as well. I wasn't planning to destroy the lock cylinder if at all possible.

I have an NOS box now too so have lots of options.

This one has paint that matches the bags and is an original that was on the bike which was my Father's so has some sentimental value.
                      Ray
                      AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                      X