miles per gallon for KH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miles per gallon for KH?

My '56 KHK seems to get only ~25 mpg or so on trips. Seems like I got better than that back in the 1960s. Surely, this bike should get somewhere in the mid-30s or so. I just changed to a high flow K&N air filter. I had been using a green foam filter.

So, what is the word? What sort of fuel consumption should I be experiencing?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

My experience with ANYTHING using a stock Linkert is in the mid to high 20s MPG range. Not a Linkert slur, just how it is. But I also tend to flog stuff pretty hard so take that for what it is, just my personal experience!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

On a recent ride I was making the ol' Linkert work. I did notice that I had a higher fuel bill than the other fellas I was running with. They had those modern S&S type carbs....
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

It seems I get ~35mpg with my Indian Chief. It is a flathead with a Linkert carb. I had hoped for at least as good mileage with the smaller, and more modern KH. I just pulled the plugs and they show the mixture may be rich. I'll keep fooling around with it to see if I can get better mileage.

It is good to know that what I am getting is not outrageously horrible. Thanks.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

No, mpg is normal, hell my ch only gets about 17. Didn't matter so much when gas was $.50 a gallon!

Comment

My 65 FL averages 30 mpg, squeezed 38 out once. Running extreamly clean, even the tail pipe tip stays a light tan color. Doesn't seem to matter if I run 45 or 75, still same 30-give or take a couple mpg.
            Anyone ever try a screen "atomizer" or anything else to improve milage?
            Kerry
            Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

My 65 FLH also only gets in the low 30's, Larry

Comment

A fuel atomizer AND a set of deer-whistles, you'd have to stop every 10 miles to dump fuel.
                Shouldn't say that, never tried an atomizer. Deer-whistles don't scare deer, though, I can tell you that.
                Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
                X