Spark retard cable 1961 xlch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark retard cable 1961 xlch

Looking for spark retard cable for magneto or magneto with auto retard? Love my bike, just want to start it easier! Thanks. Brian

V twin has them, but they weren't on the 61 ch. You'll also need the advance hardware plate for the mag and be sure your left bar will accept the spiral hardware.
    1959 XLCH

Comment

Originally posted by murph View Post
      V twin has them, but they weren't on the 61 ch. You'll also need the advance hardware plate for the mag and be sure your left bar will accept the spiral hardware.
      So Murph, for 61 would you retard by moving magneto or just kick it hard like I've been doing? Or what about these supposed "auto retard" mags? Any experience with them? Thanks, Brian

Comment

The mag on the 61 ch was fixed. Meaning set it and lock it down, there was no moving it. The retard linkage didn't come on ch until mid 60's. I have one on my 69 ch and can't tell much different's in starting.
        1959 XLCH

Comment

Brian, as part of your starting ritual here is a tip to try that was passed on to me by an experienced XLCH rider. When you kick over the motor hold the kill switch in the "KILL" position so there will be no spark and release the kill switch when you reach the end of the kicker stroke. Kinetic energy should keep the engine turning enough to start the motor with spark.

Comment

Tim,

Ahh yes, the beauty of simplicity... In the 43 years that I've owned my '64 CH, I never thought of your kill-button trick! I will try that once the motor is re-installed. Who knows, if it works well, I may even remove the incorrect '65 and later advance/retard setup (that I installed to protect my knee) and return it to the correct locked-mag setup.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
            X