Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Brown MOTOLAMP adjustable focus bulb contacts AVAILABILITY

Hello AMCA friends,

for the second time within a few month I stuggle with the same problem which is why I am asking for help here.

The original bulb contacts on Motolamp headlights with adjustbale focus (I was working on a 1930 and 1931, but guess they were similar until 1936) here 2 brass "tubes" in which the cables were secured by pressing the end of the tube. These "tubes" were put in the bulb socket with a spring on the back to press them against the bulb contacts (pictures show this tube and the complete bulb socket)

When rewiring the lamp, these pressed pieces can no longer be used as original - it would be perfect to use new contacts. Soldering the cables in the old contacts is OK but not perfect.

My question to you:

Is there any supplier for these cylindric brass contact? Does anyone have a large quantity of NOS? I guess they were used on car lamps too....

Best wishes from Europe,
    gsottlDSCF2305.jpgDSCF2306.jpgDSCF2303.jpg

Restoration supply company, escondido California. www.restorationstuff.com has all those old connectors, etc.

Please post a picture of the whole light! I have a similar early electric light and I wonder if it's a Motolamp.

If you are in Europe, you might try The Complete Automobilist or Paul Beck Automotive Supplies. Both in the UK.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

My problem with those bulb connectors is; the contacts are 180 degrees off with the vintage bulbs I have found. My last solution was to make a new connector, and that's a gruesome fix. Apparently there was a difference between automobile bulbs and motorcycle bulbs.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric:

Are you sure it's a difference between auto and motorcycle bulbs or is it a difference between 6 and 12V systems? The connectors were different for different applications. Orientation of the contacts changed. There were also variations in the bayonet locking posts that allowed high and low beams to be oriented correctly (Staggered vs. 'straight' connectors.) There are tons of small variations in the different connectors, though outwardly they look the same.

If you do need to make connectors, Delrin Rod (also from Restoration Supply Co.) can easily be machined and drilled to make up connectors.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

The US suppliers have the unsprung headlamp sockets which are a struggle to alter. I have made the sprung ones as a component of the 1931-34 Harley Motolamps I make, and I guess about 1931-37 for the Indians. Please contact me off this bulletin board for more info.

Comment

Check with Mr 101 Randy Walker, as he had the headlights. got one from him years ago and may still have. Marty

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
              ....Please post a picture of the whole light! I have a similar early electric light and I wonder if it's a Motolamp...
              Sirhr!

I hope these photos help, as this site makes them an unusually annoying exercise, often futile for the first attempts, to upload.

My original reflector is in the rafters somewhere, as I installed a modern halogen.

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you for your replys and links!

Yes this is the type of Motolamp I ment. Attached pictures of the lamp on the bike - still with its ugly cables on....

Cheers,
                gsottl
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes that is a pretty lamp for the 1931/2 Harleys and Indians, but maybe an incorrect bucket on the one in the picture?

Comment

Hi Steve,

The bucket is the right one - it is just the perspective which makes this impression. I is a John Brown Motolamp with the triangular marking.

See more pictures of the bike attached (I know the exhaust is not right, but other than that a pretty original 1931 101- even the saddle, horn and dashboard)
                    Some people may think the handlebars are wrong, but this is a European export model and was originally sold with this (kind of ugly) handlebars.

The only thing that was wrong on the lamp is the screw on the back (exchanged now)

Cheers,
                    gsottlDSCF1473.jpgDSCF1474.jpgDSCF1471.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X