Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about early XLCH specifications 1958 to 1964 or so

Hi everybody,
    I know next to nothing about Sportsters but I am kind of interested in finding one. What year did the XLCH come with the factory short rear fender? I read somewhere that these were aluminum? Or were they steel? What year did the XLCH not come with any lighting equipment? When did they first come with alloy dirt catcher rims? What year(s) did they come with half width hubs? When did full width hubs appear? Thanks for any help, I have looked at a couple of baskets over the last couple of years but I really did not know what to look for.
    Mike Carver
    Mike Carver
    AMCA #3349

What year did the XLCH come with the factory short rear fender?
    Never, the short fender was used on the XLC and later on some XLR (and previously on KR bikes), the XLCH always had road gear.
    I read somewhere that these were aluminum?
    The only aluminum ones I am aware of were on KR and XLR racers. they also had aluminum fender struts.
    What year did the XLCH not come with any lighting equipment?
    See question one, it did not, only the competition models came that way.
    When did they first come with alloy dirt catcher rims?
    Starting in 1960 as a result of the Italian connection with Aermacchi. They were made by Borrani.
    What year(s) did they come with half width hubs?
    The half width hubs started in '52 with the K model and continued through '63 on Sportsters.
    When did full width hubs appear?
    From '64 to '72

A signature of early Sportster XLCHs were the magnetos used for ignition only. They still had generators and regulators for lighting. The alloy rims were not on all, steel rims were available alongside. The XLCH fender was shorter than the XLH but still had provision for a taillight as opposed to the chopped rear fender of the comp bikes. The small tank first appeared on any Sportster in '58 on the XLC and was stock from '59 on on the XLCH and optional on the H for many years. Also vice-versa as the long fenders and big tank were options on the CH. The small tank was derived from the '48 125 tank and was used on many KR racers in the '50s. It was modified from the original design for Sportster applications. There are literally hundreds of minor differences and changes over the years. You have plenty of homework ahead of you!
    Robbie
    Last edited by Rubone; 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

1958 had XLC , no lights and short fenders, XLCH hot motor,1959 got lights. 1964 got full width hubs. aluminum rims 43010-60 and 43010-64

steve
      Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
      TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

RUB said it all and types better than me !!!

Steve
        Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
        TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

Thanks for the info, it's a good start. Robbie, I should have known you would be the "wikipedia" of Sportsters as well as most other makes and models! From what I have seen so far, there is A LOT of mixing of parts on most of the Sportsters still out there, running or not. Figuring out what the bike started out as is only the jumping off point (as is usually is...) One of the attractive things about Sportsters is that they don't command knucklehead prices, but that is a double edged sword... best to not pay too much for one or be prepared to be underwater when you go to replace / repair / restore. Are there any suggestions for good reference books before I go buy every book available?
          Mike Carver
          AMCA #3349

Comment

Mike
            Call Bill's Custom Cycle in Bloomsburg Pa he has NOS parts books for older Sportsters that cover different years. They have more than 1 version. 570 759 9613
            Thanks Jim D
            Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
              Never, the short fender was used on the XLC and later on some XLR (and previously on KR bikes), the XLCH always had road gear.

See question one, it did not, only the competition models came that way.
              The 1958 XLCH had the short rear fender and no lights. The front fender was also trimmed on the bottom.

Comment

There was a real short rear fender made of aluminum with aluminum struts user on road racers. It wasn't for dirt trackers as flying dirt and rocks would destroy it.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X