Need Smiths Tachometer Repair for '67 XLCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Smiths Tachometer Repair for '67 XLCH

Can anyone recommend a shop that is good at repairing these things? I'm in the bay area, California.
    Thanks, Gary

Nisonger instruments is the official Smiths repair facility in the US and does good work.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I've had excellent results now on three separate jobs. A 1974 BMW R60/6 Speedo/Tach Unit, a 1965 Harley Pan speedometer and a 1959 BMW R26 speedometer. The BMW R60 was done back in the late 70's, the Harley was done about 10 years ago or so. The BMW R26 I just got done this year. Installed it a few weeks ago. Excellent work on all of them. The BMW units were Smiths. Excellent work. They will do full restoration or exactly what you want done. The work on all 3 was done by Palo Alto Speedo in Palo Alto, CA.

I have a Harley accessory tach that needs repair. Might give Nisonger a try on that one since they are East coast. Thanks for the reference Robbie.
      Last edited by rbenash; 12-13-2011, 05:31 AM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Thanks so much, for the feedback on Palo Alto Speedo. These guys are about an hour's drive from where I live. I have heard of them, but did not know anyone that used their services.
        Gary

Comment

...and thanks to Rub, for your feedback on Nisonger instruments.
          Gary

Comment

Gary - glad to help. Based on my experience you won't be sorry. I actually dropped off my Harley Pan speedo back then and visited the shop on a business trip. PAS are good folks to deal with. Heck I'm wondering now if they get their parts from Nisonger.... Doesn't matter to me as the work was excellent. I know that they also do silk screening/replica faces if you need that done.

The Harley Speedo cost me about $4-500. The BMW R26 was about $250 or so. Can't remember what I paid for the /6, too long ago and that bike got sold pretty quickly after reassembly. I can tell you that I ran the R26 last weekend for about 60 miles or so without a problem and it looks sharp and original. Thinking about getting my spare R26 speedo rebuilt now along with that Harley accessory tach. I have about 2-3000 on the Harley speedo without trouble.
            Last edited by rbenash; 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Additional Tach/Speedo Repair Services

Try Foreign Speedo in San Diego (they have a web site). They do mail order and are very fairly priced (I believe they get $125 to repair a tach). I have been using them with excellent results for several decades. John Bordas (sp?) in CO advertises in the Quarterly and is good.

Comment

Thanks, dlxl66elxl, for the recommendation on Foreign Speedo.
                Gary

Comment

Working...
                X