coil overhaul question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil overhaul question

I have an original pan coil that test good what I would like to know is how to get whatever is in the holes to hold the wires in , out so it can be cleaned the old wires rotted inside and i would like to replace the wires and whatever holds them in. what was used to hold the wires in also
    Moose
    aka Glenn

I haven't posted in awhile but have and use original coils on 3 Panheads that I ride. When I changed spark cables I always pre-warmed the coil disconnected with 6 Volts attached till warm. Then the Tar like material softens up enough to remove the spark cable and reverse to install as well. I'm not much for technical terminology at times but what I say has worked for me many of times. I listen to others suggestions and use what I learn.

Comment

The manual tells you how to clean out the holes by making a saw out of tubing.
      Andy Wander

Comment

ok on the tubing what do you put back in after removing the old stuff
        Moose
        aka Glenn

Comment

I think that there is probably enough tar in the coil that you don;t need to add any additional.
          Andy Wander

Comment

Colony sells kit 7804-6 that states it includes 'packing'. Bob#6738
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The packing refers to th rubber rings that go in the screw caps. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                I have an original pan coil that test good what I would like to know is how to get whatever is in the holes to hold the wires in , out so it can be cleaned the old wires rotted inside and i would like to replace the wires and whatever holds them in. what was used to hold the wires in also
                Glenn, Just in case you don't know-- One hole is deeper than the other. Each hole has a sharpened pin sticking up from the bottom. This sharp pin must go up into the center of the coil wire to make contact with the copper conductor inside. When you clean the holes out you must be careful as to not damage that pin. That's why a pipe made into a saw works well. Don't try a conventional drill bit or you will ruin the coil. It's really not too difficult. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Comment

thank for the info I understand the saw but how do i confirm that the wire has not been already destroyed it looks like someone has already tried to get the broken pieces out and left chunks in there.
                  Moose
                  aka Glenn

Comment

If you use the saw, one hole is deep, and the other is not so deep. I will measure a stock coil late tonight and let you know how deep.

1.7" and 3.1" from the top of the threads, to the bottom of the hole. The spike sticks up a bit from the bottom of the hole.

Once you cut all the way down, pull out the chunks(old cable and/or tar) and then you should see the small spike at the bottom of the hole.
                    Last edited by awander; 11-13-2011, 09:07 PM. Reason: got the dimensions!
                    Andy Wander

Comment

Harbor Vintage restores coils and replaces broken wires.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The tube is a reaming process so the new wire will slide in easier. The packing and nut wil hole the wire in place and keep it water proof. I've had coils that had broken pins and still worked fine as long as the end of the wire was touching the end of the broken pin.

Comment

I would call it a sawing or even a trepanning process, but not a reaming process.
                          Andy Wander

Comment

Working...
                          X