South Bend Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Lathe

Guys, two or three years ago I post a thread about the South Bend Lathe Co. A lot of you replied that your units were loose. Well I just got done rebuilding my 1944 14.5". I had some great time doing it. The cost was well under $500.00 buck when I was done. The reason I'm chiming in here is, there's a guy in Nebraska that remakes all the rest nuts and cross feed rods or anything else ya need, so you don't have to go to Grizzly and get your nuts chewed off, even if they have it? Bob L
    Tom Ross
    4555 Schroeder Drive
    Omaha, NE. 68157
    402-651-8310
    tross96586@aol.com
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

That's good stuff to know Bob! I'm hoping to be on the hunt for a South Bend soon!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Many say that the true test of a company's services and abilities is best demonstrated when things DON'T go as planned.

I just used Tom Ross's services, as I'm just completing a complete rebuild of my 1951 9" South Bend Model 9A. He was recommended to me by a friend (also an AMCA member) who had justr finished rebuilding his own Model 9A in which he needed the crossfeed and compound shafts replaced. In my case, there was some trouble with the replacement crossfeed shaft that Tom made for me. While the new compond shaft assembly was perfect, apparently, while my old shaft was the original OEM part, there were some perculiarities with it that particular assembly that were not in Tom's records. It required two send-backs to get it right. In the end, Tom Ross proved to be a stand-up guy and stuck with the problem. I doubt that he made any profit on this transaction, and it cost me a substantial amount in shipping, but he obviously values his work and his reputation and did whatever was necessary to provide a correct and working shaft assembly. Throughout this frustrating process he proved to be cordial and professional and his finished product is absoplutely perfect. A true gentleman. If you have the need - use this guy!
      Last edited by billpedalino; 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bob L. - do you have any other sources for small SB lathe parts besides Grizzly? I need some small parts to finish up and Grizzly makes you spend $30.00 as a minimum order. I called them to complain, but the pretty much told me to go jump in a lake. They truly are despicable...
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, Tom and I went through the same thing with my 14.5. Everything on it was special. I learned after the first cross feed screw to just send him the part and let him duplicate it. He is a man of the utmost integrity. As far as other parts, I do a search every morning on Fleese-Bay under South Bend and have been pretty successful. Bob L
          AMCA #3149

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bob..!
            I recently inherited a 1944 Model B9W, and just getting it set up and learning how to use it.
            It does have a few 'looseness' issues that need resolved.
            I have found a lot of info on these old SB lathes on the internet..!

Comment

I was lucky when I got my big 16x60 South Bend, as I had three to choose from, all having come from Berkeley Pump (think jet drives), and two were just thrashed, ways badly worn, screws very sloppy etc., but this one must have been the "backup", it's pretty tight and runs out very well- gonna have to break down and paint it someday though, all three were painted "frog pond green"...

Comment

Bob - Are you going to Rhinebeck?
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

I'll be the guy in the long black trench coat and wide brim Berbery top hat. Spy vs Spy! No, I will not be attending. What's the matter? Oley isn't good enough? Bob L
                  AMCA #3149

Comment

No - unfortunately, pressing family matters..... First Oley that I'll be missing in many years.

I hope to hit Jefferson this year though.
                    Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

One thing that works on some of the older machines with the flat belts, if your belt goes south, you can find a later car or pickup "serpentine" belt that's the right length and it will work fine on the flat pulleys, at least on the smaller machines- I haven't seen one big enough for my 16x60, but there's probably some that size too, a lot of the bigger trucks, tractors and construction equipment are coming with serpentines

Comment

Working...
                      X