1950 Indian Arrow Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Indian Arrow Production

Does anyone know of a 1950 Arrow numbered higher than 1308? (Suggesting #308 off the line that year).

I'm trying to determine what the actual production was for the last year of the Arrow. Records seem to be unclear about this.
    Brian Groff
    Member Since 2002

According to the research I have done I found that only 240 Arrows were built in 1950. My 1950 Arrow was the 200 one built. Number AAEJ1201. I realize that because of poor sales some 1949 models were sold as 1950 models but as mentioned actual 1950 production was 240. Mark

Comment

Yes. I've got #1261's engine, so the 240 count is sorta blown now. I know of #1308, and it is an authentic mark. Recently I saw some information merely suggesting "... around 300." So my sheet on IndianVertical is going to have to be updated at least.
      Brian Groff
      Member Since 2002

Comment

Brian, how about the lowest you know of? I have 1103.

Comment

The lowest in existence today ... maybe. My understanding is the first one would have been S/N AAEJ1001, so there should be 102 opportunities for a lower number than yours out there. I don't know Springfield would have skipped numbers, though I know for a fact that Gilroy skipped numbers when they pulled production bikes off the line for abuse ... I mean testing. For example, I know that 2003 Vintage Chief number 4 was headed to the scrap heap when it was saved from that demise by the original designer of the concept.
          Brian Groff
          Member Since 2002

Comment

Check this link for the production numbers. It stats an approx production number of 240 Arrows in 1950. This has also been confirmed by Jim at Southwest Vintage Cycle. Not discounting anybody elses posting on the subject but this is the most accurate number I have found. Mark.

http://cycletownusa.com/Vertical-Ind...ssner-info.pdf
            Last edited by Mark Jennings; 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X