1951 Triumph T100 Rod Bearing Period Modification Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Triumph T100 Rod Bearing Period Modification Mystery

My brother is restoring a 1951 Triumph T100. Upon disassembly of the engine, he found the rods have apparently been modified to accept precision insert shells (they were originally babbit?). The source of the shells themselves are the question. They appear to have been relieved on the outside on either side to clear the original rod bolts, which partially obscured the original shell part number, although we can tell they are Vanderwell bearing shells with a part number ending in ...14M.

We suspect the right bearing shells may be from a 1950's Austin A30. Is anyone out there familiar with this period modification, and if so, can you provide any more information? Photos and some of our research is posted at geekbobber.blogspot.com.

The crank is in really nice shape, and may just need a polishing, if we can find the right bearing inserts...

Hey, that's not a flathead!
    Years ago I opened up a '53 6T to find 1 original babbit rod and the other set-up with inserts (and that journal was turned down several thou.) When I put it back together, I used a pair of insert rods that were set-up by Steve Gilbin at European Motorcycles Inc, (formerly SG Machine) located in Redmond Washington, near Seattle. He did a nice job, I don't remember the details on those rods as it was years ago, but I think they were newer Triumph. If you want to contact him his website is www.europeanmotorcycles.com he knows these old Triumphs well. I ran that motor pretty hard, and no problems ever.
    Doug.
    Last edited by D.Mac; 07-11-2011, 03:49 PM. Reason: website didn't show/or link
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

Comment

Hey, Doug,

Thanks for the post. Small world. I live in Kent, my wife works in Redmond, and I have been in Steve's shop. I will ask him. The flathead is the one that's gotta be running to shag Triumph parts!!

Comment

Looks like the mystery might be solved... My brother got the .020" oversize Austin A30 (automobile) bearing shells he ordered today. They are definitely the
        same as the ones previously used. Mystery Part # = G2314M. Hope the next guy finds this...

Comment

Working...
        X