Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Chief battery box

Need some help from the indian pros,
    i am trying to modernize my 1939 chief battery system, i am tired of the old small battery in a indian battery shell.
    i am running the early 39 style frame that has a battery area under the generator.

i would like to find someone who has built a battery box or battery plate that holds a 12 volt battery in a reliable manner.

any builders out there willing to share what they have done???

Bikenut !

6V batteries are the Achilles heel of 6V Indian electrical systems, as you have found out. 12V is the way to go. I have used a Big Boar Mini battery in my 51 Chief daily rider for 5 seasons now, no issues. Same wattage as an original Indian battery. J&P Cycles carries them. It`s a made in USA battery, worth the extra $$ Fit inside my old Wisco battery shell, should work for your setup.

37 Models all used cutout relays. So unless you have a CE generator, to do a proper conversion you would need to send me your generator, & cutout relay for rebuilding & conversion. As of today, I`m the only source for 12v electronically regulated cutouts (full voltage regulation) .

Any questions, just PM me.

IndianFrank
    Indian generator Restoration

Comment

Frank just did my four generator and it was done exactly as discussed between us and works great. It was an absolute pleasure doing buisness with him. I have the electronic regulator inside the cutout relay box with 6 volt. He is THE MAN when it comes to Indian electrics.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Bikenut, one other fly in the ointment is also how accurate do you want your bike? Your 39 takes a 1938-39 only willard battery. A small amount have been done that use the 6 volt battery inside. Get back to me if you want more info on that privately. When everything is OK and you have Frank do your genny, the small battery will work. You also have to tune your genny for how you ride to get the best out of the system. The battery is very visible on an Indian, but correct substitutes for them have been sorely lacking.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, my bike is not "correct" and i am trying to get more painless electrics, i am converting to 12 volts, what do you fellas think the best 12V sealed battery i can run in the indian shell?? i am aware the gel battery is not a good choice.

Comment

Bikenut !

As I said in my first response to your question, use a Big Boar mini.

IndianFrank

Comment

Working...
            X