Hello and question: Sporster project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and question: Sporster project bike

Hi All, I am a new member of AMCA and considering getting into a restoration project. I am interested in finding a Sportster to restore (preferably 1957 - 1960). Any advice I can get I would appreciate. First, If I find a rolling chassis or even just a frame what identifying serial numbers should I look for? What should I avoid if possible? What would a reasonable price for such a thing be in restorable condition? Advice as to what would be considered "restorable" vs. "hopeless cause"? Etc. I appreciate you all sharing your wisdom. Thanks from sunny Florida, Greg

There are no serial numbers on a pre 1970 frame. 1962 and later frames do have a very small anti theft number stamped on the neck. There are many variations in pre 1960 frames. You should do some studying so you know what you are going to do before you start doing it.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi Greg,
      Welcome to the forum. That is a big bite to chew that you are contemplating. Those are some of the rarest and most difficult years of Sportsters to get into! There are a multitude of variations in the first few years, the '57 and '58 XLs with their big tanks and K style fenders and instruments. (A pair of NOS ignition switches just sold on eBay for $720!). Th early XLH, XLC, and XLCH are all tough to find parts for. But if that is the challenge you are looking for, go for it! There are several very knowledgeable members on here doing Sportsters so you might search the old threads for info.
      Have Fun
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome Greg;
        Knowledge is power. There are still older sportsters out there but most are pieced together. All pre 1970's use block# as VIN. You'll see 1960's advertised but usually only block is 1960. With some research you will recognize the correct parts.
        You might consider 1959 thru 1965 H models as they have a unique styling.

Steve
        Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
        TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

Hello and welcome. You say you are in Florida. Get yourself to the A.M.C.A. Meet in Eustis, look for someone with the Sportster like what you are looking for, introduce yourself,and pick their brain for knowedge. Almost all are proud of their machines and love to talk about and show them to a fellow motorcycle lover. I did that in 1987 and found a life long friend. That is what this hobby is about, all the good people. Good Luck. Brian.

Comment

Working...
          X