Changing from a Tilotson to Bendix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from a Tilotson to Bendix

I am planing to change my 67 FLH from a Tilotson to a Bendix caruretor. I see several Zenith Bendix carbs are available. 38MM Fixed Main Jet, 38MM Adjustable Main Jet, and a 40MM Adjustable Main Jet. Does any body have any experience using any of these carbs?

I had a Bendix on my 69FL for a while and I could only get about 25 mpg, I now have a S&S B(I know the original look is lost) but it runs great and I get 40-45 mpg. I still use the original bars with the internal controls. I made a set of footboard extensions, so I do not have a 'leg bent around the air cleaner' issue. Again, breaking from original but so is a Bendix. I want to change to a Tillitson, why are you taking this off, what are your issues?? Thanks. Bob AMCA#6738
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Use the 38 mm fixed jet, the 40 is a little big for a stock motor. Mount the cable at the carb with a 27449-72 clamp, and switch your right grip to a 56220-58 for reverse action. The Bendix is a good carb, never paid atte tion to gas mileage, though.
      VPH-D

Comment

My issues are hard to start, or wont start, catches on fire. When it does start it takes 20-30 min. before it stops backfiring and bucking. Then it has very little power.

Comment

My experience with Tillotsons is that if they are set up right (Good diaphragm, proper venting, clean and correct inside!) they provide great throttle response and lots of power. I used them on strokers with big cams also. I like them way better than the Bendix!
          Just my opinion!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

If you just want it to run better, JB weld a Keihin CV carb to one of those two bolt adapters, and go enjoy the ride.
            Mike

Comment

I agree with Robbie Totally.... I worled for Harley in 1971 when the Bendix first came out on factory machines. They always ran lean and popped back alot more than Tillotsons. I've used Bendix on other machines since and they work 'ok'. However, the Tillitson is a far superior carb, provided it's set up correctly and provided that the rider doesn't 'spin the wheel' every time he percieves a problem.

If it were me, I'd spend the time PROPERLY reconditioning that Tillotson including changing out all those balls, springs and other parts lurking beneath those welch plugs in the bottom of the main body.
              Last edited by billpedalino; 01-23-2011, 12:14 PM.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I would like to keep the bike original if I could get it running right. Is there someone out there in the AMCA community that rebuilds the Tillotson? So far I have not talked to anyone that has had any interest in working on it, thus my thinking about the Bendix.

Comment

The problem is the parts. A person interested in rebuilding them could probably find springs, balls and welch plugs, and the diaphragms and gaskets are available. But all the other bits and pieces that are needed for a complete and proper rebuild are very hard to find. Unfortunately, lack of knowledge about these carburators many years ago had tarnished them to most riders and there is very little interest in their use. This is unfortunate, as they really are a superor carburator (in my opinion) and I would like to offer a rebuilding service, but the demand would probably not justify the cost of having these scarce parts manufactured.

Bill Pedalino
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

It's been some time since I addressed this issue, but in that time I have had the carburator rebuilt. Will be reassembling the bike after a total rebuild in the next few months. Hope it starts. Will post a pic when done.

Comment

I have a s+s carb under that air cleaner with all the stock internals for the throttle. I was able to rob the brackets from an old original backing plate and mount them on the s+s plate so the cover looks stock. It runs flawless with this set up, Never had luck with the tillotson. Just my 2 cents.
                      1959 XLCH

Comment

Nice looking bike! I will try the Tillotson, and see what happens. If I still don't have any luck with It, I will want to talk to you about how you set up the S&S. The throttle wire is a push style, does that work with the S&S? Also what model of S&S did you use?

Comment

I ran a Tillotson back in the day and found it to be a good carb. Once in a while if it seemed like it wouldn't start I used a piece of approx 14 gauge copper wire that I had on my key chain. I pushed this wire gently into the center hole on the bottom diaphram cover to get a bit more gas into the carb. I suppose the diaphram was sticking a bit and probably a rebuild may have helped but it ran great otherwise so I saw no need for a rebuild and spent the money saved on beer like most others do when they are young.

Comment

Working...
                          X