52 3-brush generator output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 3-brush generator output

Can anyone tell me what the preferred output for a 52 3-brush generator is? I am mostly concerned with the output when the lights are on. What is the best way to measure it? Should I measure voltage at the battery, or should I be looking at something else.

Amperage is what you care about when checking output. The way the Harley generator is designed, the output is about the same with or without the lights on ... Perry

Comment

Regarding the output of a three brush generator, the model 32 I understand to be a max of ten amps. The model 52 is more like 12 amps but the exact output of these generators is hard to confirm as there seems to be no info on these in the Harley literature. I do know on these three brush generators, that when the second field coil is energized thru the light switch, that is when current thru the pos brush is imensly increased to feed the head lamps and other lighting. Problem is, its usually not enough for spot lamps etc for too long a distance. However, if you have a lack of lighting, then the extra current will head for the battery and an overcharge condition can occur. One trick you can do is turn on the headlamps and set the dimmer switch carefully in the centre so no head lights come on. Since the lighting field coil is now energized, current increase can be measured and compred to when only the ignition switch is on (light switch off) for daylight riding.....I would like to see some documented actual generator out put amps info from somewhere on these 6 volt three brush babies tho.....Joe
      Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Pop White used to hook a headlight up to the third brush post, ground to frame of generator and spin the generator with a bench mounted wirewheel He'd adjust the third brush out till it had a bright light, smile and say another one rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by partshunt View Post
          One trick you can do is turn on the headlamps and set the dimmer switch carefully in the centre so no head lights come on. Since the lighting field coil is now energized, current increase can be measured and compred to when only the ignition switch is on (light switch off) for daylight riding
          Or you could just jumper the switch and relay terminals on the generator ... Perry

Comment

From Shop Dope #418

I don’t have the answers for the maximum output current for a 32E as a 3-brush or a 52. Someone sent me shop dope #418 about converting a 32E from 3-brush to 2-brush. The shop dope has voltage regulator part number 74511-41 listed. From a table in Palmer’s book this voltage regular is a 3 unit regulator and limits the generator output current to 13 amps. That tells me the Harley engineers felt the 32E can handle 13 amps through the armature without burning up the armature or brushes.

The maximum current output for a 32E as a 3-brush or a 52 I don’t know. If the 52 uses a 3 unit voltage regulator and you know the Harley part number for the voltage regulator you can at least determine what the voltage regulator is designed to limit the current to on the 52.

Comment

Working...
            X