Sportster Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Throttle

Hey guys, finishing up a 57 Sportster restoration and I had a question about the throttle. Its a push style and I mounted the handlebars and throttle along with the carburaetor. I tested it out and realized that when I spin the throttle handle it does not "Spring" back. In other words wherever I put it, it stays in that position. So while riding If I was accelerating and took my hand off of the throttle it would continue to accelerate and not slow down to an idle. My question is if this is normal? I know the later model Bendix Carbs have the spring built into the carb itself. I'm running the stock Linkert DC Carb. Any help is appreciated.

-Paul
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

It is normal Paul
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Comment

Wow these machine really take some skill to ride don't they? I guess its a suicide throttle. I'm almost done with it, I know I have said it before but all I have left is to wire it, mount the generator, mount the gas tank, add oil, and start it up.
      New York City
      1957 Sportster
      AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

Originally posted by Powerlifter626 View Post
        Wow these machine really take some skill to ride don't they? I guess its a suicide throttle. I'm almost done with it, I know I have said it before but all I have left is to wire it, mount the generator, mount the gas tank, add oil, and start it up.
        Just don't fall off and you'll be fine.
        Jim

Comment

Once you are used to it it makes far more sense than a self returning throttle. I always put throttle "cruise control" devices on my modern stuff to achieve the same thing. And it doesn't "continue to accelerate" as the throttle disc is not changing position when your hand is off it. I also have never seen any rider who lets go of the throttle and lets it return on its own. That is total lack of throttle control and bad practice as well as unsafe. If the bike is ridden normally the lack of return is not even noticed, except for the easier pull due to no springs and less tiresome wrist action!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Powerlifter626 View Post
            I know I have said it before but all I have left is to wire it, mount the generator, mount the gas tank, add oil, and start it up.
            I have the wiring diagram HERE it should help
            Jeff Bowles
            Arkansas
            Membership # 14023
            1957 Sportster

Comment

Working...
            X