Correct Mirrors for 72 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Mirrors for 72 FLH

Hello, I'm a new member here and new to the site.
    I was just wandering if any of you guy's can tell me if the "correct" mirror stems for a 72 FLH had the words Harley Davidson stamped in them like other models? I believe the correct mirror would be the rounded corner, rectangle shaped mirrors and I believe they had a black rubber trim piece around the edge of the mirror glass and inside edge of the mirror body as well as not having the legal disclaimer of "objects are close than they appear" on the glass itself. Does that sound right to you guys? Betty.jpg

I don't remeber the rubber trim on the early mirrors, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't there. The stems did have the company name on them. Early stems had a shorter shoulder than later versions for use on disc brake master cylinders. The later ones were provided with a spacer for use with a plain perch. All the spacers I have appear to have been cad plated. The set screws were straight slot, not allen head. No warning on the mirror, in fact I'm not sure they were even convex. I thought they were just plain mirrors.

Nice looking shovel, hope she runs as well.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks for the reply Brian, I was at the Davenport Iowa swap meet last week end and the only mirrors I could find that I thought were correct didnt have the company name on them. I figured they were aftermarket so I passed on them. I'll keep looking and in the mean time I'm using the newer style mirrors that are probably a little safer because they are convex. As far as the Shovel goes, she does run fine, 53 k miles, top end gaskets are a little leaky but otherwise I'm really pleased with her. Every thing is stock, carb, cam, displacement etc. Plan on keeping it that way which was why I was being "picky" with the mirrors.
      I have attached two photos of the style mirror I thought were correct for the 72 FLH. The mirror pictured does not have Harley Davidson stamped into the stem, this is what got me to thinking maybe they are reproduction mirror. Other than that I think this style is correct in shape with the flat mirror glass and rubber trim but maybe not. Just thought maybe some of you guys have an original to compare against. Thanks DSC02169.jpgDSC02170.jpg
      Last edited by zoomin; 09-09-2010, 10:06 AM. Reason: Adding text and photos

Comment

Original H-D mirrors had a separate stem. the head swivel had the slotted set screw I referred to to lock the head at the desired place and angle. I'll try and get up in the loft in the next day or two and see if I have any to take pics of, they most likely will have the glass long gone. Don't have any decent pics of late ones like this that I can find.
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

The mirrors in your pictures are aftermarket. The factory mirrors say Harley Davidson on the stem, and have no rubber gasket. IIRC, 91875-70A is the correct mirror for a 72. these were available up thru the mid 80s, maybe longer.
          VPH-D

Comment

Went out to look for something else and lo and behold, the mirror on my bench I use for an inspection mirror around the shop just happens to be one. So here are some pics. The stem was on the wrong way, so the logo is to the inside. No rubber gasket and someone replaced the setscrew with an Allen head. Also this is the version with the long shoulder for use on disc brake models. It was provided with a spacer for use on a regular perch.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks guys, now I know more of what I should be looking for. I appreciate your time and efforts here to help me out. Thanks again!

Comment

Check with T. Faber...He may have some NOS available
                # 5844

Comment

E-Bay now. 230525375690
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I was browsing and this current auction for OEM Shovel mirrors (ebaY # 280633880116) caught my eye,
                    like a good $20 cheaper than I paid last Fall 2010. They are offered by a reputable source, as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...item4157152e34

Besides, shovelhead topics need a bump every so often
                    Last edited by rashd; 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM.
                    # 5844

Comment

Working...
                    X