Oil drain plug again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil drain plug again

I have another pan I am going to use on my 36 four project. As mentioned on my last post I can't get the drain plug out of the pan. I have a 35 pan which is the same except it doesn,t have a drain pug, and is in excellent shape. The plug is brass and about 1 1/2 dia threaded area, and uses a gasket. Does any body know where I can get a plug for the 35 pan? Stan

Stan,

Put the pan in an oven and heat at 275/300 for over one hour and try it, it should come out. If it does not. leave it in longer. Use parafin (candle wax) to wick around the threads before you try to back out the plug. You need to heat the whole casting uniformly. Localized heat around the plug will not work as the casting will suck out the heat faster than you can safely put it in. At 275/300 you will not hurt the casting. Keep those '36 cases together, they were mated at the factory. If you look in the sprocket area, you will notice they are match stamped together. Just be patient and it will come out. You may have to try a couple of times, but it will be worth it.

Mark

Comment

A well respected motorcycle restorer told me he uses bees wax as a penetrant. He claims it works better than anything else he has tried. You have to use heat and Mark's suggestions sound excellent.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I finally got the plug out. The pan would not fit in our stove oven. I set it up in my mill, and cut the plug through on two sides. Then I used a punch to remove what was left of the plug. The pan must have been in a wet spot, as the plug was really stuck to the threads. I could not find a 1 in plug anywhere with a internal hex,or square. I finally ordered one on ebay. Things are moving foreward on my 4 project, after many years of sitting. Being retired has a lot to do with that. Stan

Comment

Drain Plugs info

If anyone is interested, Jim Walther makes real nice magnetic drain plugs for Indian Fours. He also does thread replacement on Linkert carbs. He's the President of the Indian 4 Club.

Comment

Working...
          X