No oil in tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No oil in tank

Went to get ready to fire up my 41 sport scout and found no oil in tank. It was in the bundle of rags under the bike. Is there some kind of check valve in the tank that would make it leak out?
    Attached Files

Nice bike, those that know will be along. But it dont sound right, no check valve in the tank for sure. I have never seen that, I can let my SS sit for months and it wont do that. It might wet sump, has not done that either in years. But it used to on occassion, the tank would leek down abit on mine over month's. Fill up the bottom end, then wet sump if I did not drain it. But never ever even close to drainning the tank. On mine you could also fire it up and it would refill the tank itself in quick order, just if you were in your garage at the time. You better be wearing a breathing system, cause you would dissappear in the smoke - no joke, I mean alot of smoke :-) My guess is something about the pump, when you fire it up. Do you see a good percolator of oil returning ? Some times it takes a minute or two, but it should be percolating good with return oil.
    Good luck with yours, how long you had it and how do you like it ? I ask because I love mine and it has made me a real SS fan, Tom.

Comment

When I sold my '41 I let all the manuals I had go to. I'd think it's a check ball seating issue but I'm betting Red Fred might know.......
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Your Cast Iron oil pump is worn, and needs some fixing to solve the problem.

The only thing that keeps oil in your tank on a cast iron pump is the clearance in the pump between the feed piston and it's wall.
        Over time the piston and the wall will wear. Sometimes when you stop the bike the piston could be at the top of it's stroke and no oil will leak. Other times it could be in the middle of it's stroke and leak all your oil into the bottom of the engine.

Solution: The best solution and one that will last the lifetime of the pump:
        We take the oil pump apart, then we have the feed plunger hard chrome plated, and we also plate the cylinder it rides in hard chrome plated. Then we hone the cylinder and grind the plunger. This now gives us the original clearance on these parts. Since they are hard chrome plated now, and riding in oil, you are virtually guaranteed a long service life on the parts, and the pump is better than new!
        This is not a cheap fix - The cost of the above fix is about $260 - but it's less expensive than rebuilding your engine!

Sincerely,
        Gary Stark
        Starklite Cycle
        951-968-3070

Comment

Should also check the breather tube for cracks or holes near the base. Pour some gas in there and ...........

Comment

Working...
          X