Chief transmission bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief transmission bearings

I buy replacement parts for my 1946 chief from a couple different vendors. Some show both main shaft transnision bearings as being the same and some show them as being different. The bearings that came out of my bike were different. One being a thrust type and the other standard. Which bearings should I use and does anybody know the bearing numbers.

I'm accustomed to buying my replacement bearings from my local industrial supply house, sometimes off the shelf (don't tell them it's motorcycle, though).
    They've rarely been unable to match the originals.
    I prefer the thrust bearing on the clutch side, but some have said that this application is over-rated. Need a vendor's advice?

Comment

Indian did use a thrust bearing on the clutch side.
      However, a modern radial bearing can match about 80% of the thrust of a thrust bearing. The original bearing was over done by approx 150%, so use of a radial bearing does not cause a problem.

On the 52-53 models Indian changed from the Thrust bearing to a Radial bearing.

Another note: Modern thrust bearings have more play than the bearings that were made in the 50's so it is much harder to achieve your proper end play if you use a thrust bearing. Plus they are much higher in cost.

Our sealed bearings cost around $26ea for the transmission.

Sincerely,
      Gary Stark
      Starklite Cycle
      951-968-3070

Comment

Thanks Gary, glad to see you're still watching us.
        please go to "scouts", I have another tech question for you.

Comment

Working...
        X