Indian battery terminal TYPE (lead) screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian battery terminal TYPE (lead) screws

does anyone have a source for screws made out of lead? Years ago I bought a set of 10-32 fillister screws and nuts from Rocky that I thought were NOS Indian and were solid lead. I need a couple a little longer and aren't having any luck. Trouble is there's 2 entirely different lead (up front) screws and lead (grey soft material) screws and the first is more common so Goog is useless.
    Thanks
    Bob, with a battery apart!

Why a lead screw? The battery acid? Could you use a plastic screw instead? If you can McMaster-Carr has them. Good Luck. Bill

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=7k8z89

Comment

I've never seen a lead screw, (as in the metal). Particularly a fine thread 10-32. I've had lots of trouble with fasteners and wire connectors on my Indian. I have a piece of junk India knock off battery that seeps battery acid on the positive terminal when the bike is on it's side stand. Stainless steel has held up better than anything else I have tried including copper. I currently have a Yuasa battery on order and when I get it I'm going to deep six that miserable piece of third world garbage that is eating up the battery tray on my bike. I never thought of using a nylon screw as Bill suggested. Not a bad idea.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

screw

Eric
        Have you tried Rocky? The King of NOS? He still lists the 35B160 screw and nut which are both made of lead. it's on page 25 of the 44-53 parts book under wiring. A little grease and it's done.

Comment

Yuasa battery

BTW, where are you getting the Yuasa battery for an Indian? Is it the real deal? This is the first I heard of it. Today I cut Yuasa 12 V battery, #16, open and separated the middle cells giving me 2 -6 volt batteries in the case. Now I just have to figure out how to seal this nightmare up. Then I just wire them in parallel I hope. But, then again, I'm dumber than a rock.
          Bob

Comment

Yuasa batteries

I used a Yuasa battery in my 36 Cheif for a year or two until I found a closer match Wisco that was NOS. I used the B-38-6A which is the same I use in my VL's. It doesn't look correct but it works and doesn't seem to leak although I have had some crusting issues if I don't coat the terminals with grease.

Tom ( Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA # 12766

Comment

Bob, I ordered my Yuasa battery from 'BatteriesPlus'. I don't know if they're all over the country, but I've seen them here in the South. I think most battery stores, and even Walmart can order Yuasa batteries. As Tom said, it's a 386A-D. I haven't received it yet but it's got to be better than that leaky bomb from India that's under my ass right now.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X