Chief spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief spark plugs

Off hand, what's a good spark plug for a 74" Chief ?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Howdy Eric,

Champion J6's have been the default install for years but being short reach (recessed in the head) are sort of a version of the old JC Whitney plug extension once sold to prevent oil fouling on oil burning engines by moving the plug away from the combustion chamber. These really hinder flame propogation during the combustion process and result in the appearance of a "richer" running engine when in actually it may not be, actually just an inefficient one.

I run full length/extended tip plugs in both of mine. When you view the underside of the head, the plug itself comes right to the surface of the head with the electrode nicely exposed. One machine has full depth inserts so I can just screw these plugs in unaltered. The other one has the traditional shorter inserts so I just turn off about 40% of the length of the threads on the plug.

If your machine's an oil burner like one of mine, I'd just keep it at the cross reference to a J6, if a clean motor, maybe a step colder to reduce detonation tendencies.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thanks Peter. I wasn't sure if there was a "new" preferred plug these days. I'll get a pair of J6 Champions today. I appreciate your observations and insight.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Another choice is to use a reproduction plug.
        Our new plugs look correct, and work properly, and cost the same as a Champion J6 plug

Get that last point on your restorations using our latest addition for your Indian Motorcycle. We have reproduced the Indian "C" Script Spark Plug, complete with a collector Indian Script Box.
        The "C" is the most common heat range used on our Indian Motorcycles
        This is a 1/2" reach plug (Indian originaly used a 3/8" reach). It is completely interchangeable with the 3/8 plugs on all heads.
        The plug is equivalant to a NGK B7HS or Champion J6.
        We designed this plug to be used! Not placed on a shelf and looked at. Although, you may want to order a set for your memorabilia collection!
        Sold Each

LINK: for more info.

Sincerely,
        Gary Stark
        Starklite Cycle
        951-968-3070

Comment

Eric- I use original Indian C's in both my 74 chiefs and have never had a problem. You can still find them (I just got two nice used sets at rhinebeck for 75 a pair). The Bs are generally good for 30s chiefs (I run them in my 37 but they are very hard to find and much more expensive). Nothing against the repo Cs but just thought you might also want a set of real ones to run around the meets with.

Comment

Parkerize, thanks for the information. I'll keep my eyes peeled (disgusting thought) for a set of genuine C's and I think I will get a reproduction set from Starklite too. I'm still having battery problems and have yet to receive the 6V Yuasa battery that I ordered a month ago. I am now giving serious consideration to converting to 12 volt because I love the way this Chief handles and the way it puts out power. It's a fun motorcycle that is mechanically very reliable but is a bummer, electrically. My friend Indianut converted his 1940 Chief to 12V and has zero problems with it. I think I need to take a close look at his bike and see what he did.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Reviving this thread. I need new plugs for my '48 Chief (new owner), standard 6v/points, newly rebuilt engine. I ordered some of the Indian repros but realized they are all black. I'd like to try some of the silver ones so I can read them better, to the extent you can even do that with detergent gas. I know people use Champion J6, and the cross reference on the Champion website is 823 (3/8" reach, not sure if resistor or non-resistor). But when I search by application on the Champion website, it gives me the 811 (non-resistor) or 874 (resistor). Then, if I cross reference the J6 on the Autolite site it gives me the 254 (non-resistor) and 264 (resistor). Autolite recommends their 303 (resistor).

Do I want a resistor or non-resistor plug? Also, what plugs (esp. Champion or Autolite) have people used with success?

Thanks!

Comment

Autolite 303 . I have 2 40’s chiefs that r both daily riders that I have been running those plugs for going on 20 plus years

Comment

Originally posted by 46CHF View Post
                  Autolite 303 . I have 2 40’s chiefs that r both daily riders that I have been running those plugs for going on 20 plus years
                  Thanks. My experience is that I'll be going through more than a few sets of plugs while I get this bike dialed in, so I bought a set of the 303's on Amazon, some vintage J6's from eBay ($13 shipped for a half dozen), and some Indian C repros. I'll weld up a plug wrench that fits the front cylinder tonight and post how it goes between these options.

Comment

Working...
                  X