Chief front fender lite question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief front fender lite question...

I should know this but, is the front fender light on a HD springer the same as the one on a 1946 Chief? Thought they were, sure look the same.

I am looking to buy one online and can't fit it or compare easily.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Maybe no central terminal post on H-D
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...5&d=1272507244
    see this AD in for sale section , blanked off in between the 2 rivet heads

Comment

HD fender lamp

should say "Guide PH-6" on the left center lower edge; for my '47 that would be correct. Also the rear trailing tip on the HD is at an angle compared to the Indian lamp, which is a bit thicker, and a bit more vertical.

Comment

Looks like I can't really run the HD on the Chief.
        #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

I have a 1940 Chief and I'm sure my fender light is a reproduction but an old reproduction. I got the bike from a friend and I think I remeber him getting the light in the early 1980s from either Chuck Myles or Jim Sutter. I also have a 1948 FL and I have a genuine Guide fender light and a reproduction that I got from J&P. I measured the original and compared the dimensions to the repro J&P and it's very close. The reproduction Indian light is wider and shorter in o.a. length to the origianl Guide. So, are original Indian, and H-D fender lights different from each other? Were they made by different manufacturers? It would be interesting to hear from someone that could show photographic proof of a difference between genuine H-D and Indian fender lights.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

exeric,
            I have never seen proof that the cover and lens differ. I believe the base does but I have had several H-D with two different bases not counting the SC base which is different again. I have an Indian cover (given to me by a die-hard Indian guy) on an H-D base on one of my bikes and it fits and looks the same.
            As far as i know they are all Guide and vary only in early (script) and late (plain) types, not by brand.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie. I think that's exactly what everyone wanted to hear.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X