Side car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side car

I'm looking to put a sidecar on my brothers 69 FLH, any ideas as to what years are compatible? He's had major surgery rebuilding his ankle so it will be some time before he can trust his ankle to hold any weight.

Any '58 to '72 car is a direct bolt on and the brakes will work. Any Car from '36 up will fit a round swing arm bike with the correct mounts but '57 and earlier are mechanical brake. The '67 up fiberglass body is the correct "Style ". So to look like a proper set-up it should be '67 to '72. Later cars also fit with minor modifications.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, any differences in the 69 only body or trim, or are the 67-72 all the same
      Back in 1978 I found a friend a 1970 FLH with sidecar attached in Lakeland Florida. Ken rode twice with side car an removed it swearing to never try that again.
      One full year passed with several offers from Ken to help load the side car in his truck and I could have it, just had to come an get it. Long story short a year later it was in local Harley Dealers show room, traded even for a radio for Ken's fairing. He figured if I really wanted it, I would have come.
      Shame of it is it took several more years an several more deals before I learned to jumped on any free deals first, not next week, first

Comment

Neil,
        So true, how is it that when we are younger we expect the world to wait for us, and now we are trying to catch up!
        Any of the fiberglass bodies are the same until the custom painted Classic came along. There is a rear mount change after the bikes went to rear disc brakes and eventually a S/C frame mod that chops a lug off making it tough to mount on an earlier bike. Some post '67 chassis have early type bodies as well, Toronto Police contracts come to mind. Sidecars are definitely an acquired taste but some of the most fun on a bike once mastered. But it is no longer a motorcycle with the car on it, so your friend probably scared the pants off himself and never got to the fun part. Good luck!
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I would like to think that if they are set up right, and you learn the ropes with them they can be fun. I sure hope so, I am putting one on the road in a week or so. I heard to forget everything I know about riding my servicar. That is tough, tank shift and foot clutch versus the foot shift, handlebar clutch. It sounds like trying to reverse when you rub your belly and pat your head. Way too interesting. I will learn, the servicar was a new experience and I just drove her home. I hope that I will do as well with the new hack.
          Denise

Comment

Denise, Don't be afraid to "fly the sidecar." That is a learned skill. Kind of "wiggle the handlebar," first steer left, then right, and up it will come.
            You don't have to be going particularly fast. It can be done in an empty parking lot (Sundays are good). You teach yourself that, so that if it happens unintentionally, it's not a surprise to you. Works easily sidecar empty. With effort, you can lift up even a passenger, for a thrill.
            Actually, the only place the sidecar can go, once it gets in the air, is back down. If you're really at speed, you should be physically holding it down in right turns with all the right english you can muster, like trying to climb into the sidecar, l. knee hooked over the bike's seat, and peeking over the sidecar dashboard with your hands still on the bike's handlebar! Maybe a sandbag, or an anvil in the sidecar floor (or a couple of filled gallon milkjugs) but go ahead and take them out after a while and get confident with it empty. You'll watch the road carefully for unexpected sharp right turns at speed, but you'll master even interstate jug handles with ease.
            Going left, the tendency is for the driving wheel to feel light, but it's not nearly as disconcerting as right turns at first. Take your time, learn to do it, don't get overconfident even after you first think you master it, and you'll learn to love driving a sidecar like the rest of us! Welcome to the club!
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

My first bad experience was a combination of errors that went bad fast.I bought a 48 Indian Chief with an Indian sidecar chassis,fender and step. There was a Gouldings sidecar body on it an when checking the valve adjustment I got the bright idea to remove the body for easier access. Tuneup was much easier an fixed in no time, now to see how she run. Uneventful trip around the block, purred like a kitten. I passed my driveway and attempted to make a u-turn, turning to the right at barely a crawl that side car chassis was hovering over me an the 48 in the blink of an eye. I'm not talking tire one to two feet off road, it was inches from laying over in the middle of the road. I pushed the bike back over with my forearm on the road while throwing my weight to the right. I never attempted turning tight to the right again.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Denise

Comment

Sidecar information

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up. Denise
                  Anyone intrested in sidecar information can go to www.sidecar.com across the top of the home page there is a section titled books and links click on that there you will find some pdf files that you can read or down load all info regarding riding with a sidecar.
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                  X