Swingarm Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingarm Seals

((I originally posted this in the Panhead section but could not figure out how to delete their and decided to post it here also in case I do figure out how to delete that thread))

I am in the process of rebuilding a '58-'72 rear swingarm and have noticed that I have two different sets of seals, one thicker than the other. Looking in the various parts books and catalogues and even in the four different shop manuals I have, I see that the part number for the drum brake swingarm seal is different from the disc brake swingarm seal but nowhere do I see a reference for thickness. Unfortunately I trashed the parts when I prepared the part for powdercoating so I have nothing to reference.

Does anyone know which is the correct seal? FYI, I have a Drag Specialities kit.

Thanks,
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Originally posted by Lonnie View Post
    ((I originally posted this in the Panhead section but could not figure out how to delete their and decided to post it here also in case I do figure out how to delete that thread))

I am in the process of rebuilding a '58-'72 rear swingarm and have noticed that I have two different sets of seals, one thicker than the other. Looking in the various parts books and catalogues and even in the four different shop manuals I have, I see that the part number for the drum brake swingarm seal is different from the disc brake swingarm seal but nowhere do I see a reference for thickness. Unfortunately I trashed the parts when I prepared the part for powdercoating so I have nothing to reference.

Does anyone know which is the correct seal? FYI, I have a Drag Specialities kit.

Thanks,
    Years ago I overhauled a 78 shovel. I wrote in my parts book that the factory swing arm seal was Victor 64323 (this is the later -72 part number). A google search turns up specs that imply that seal's thickness is 4.76mm ... Perry

Comment

earlier ones are thicker but they will interchange. they are the same seal as the later wheel bearing seal. usually the wider ones are used on side glide wheels and thinner ones on narrow glide wheels but earlier swing arms will use either

Comment

The fat ones are original, at least through the round swingarms. They carry a 58 suffix. When installed they are flush with the swingarm, the bearing to frame spacer just extending past the outer lip on the seal.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Sorry saw the other post first. Posted measurements of actual seals in the panhead section.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
          X