Powerplus Mag Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerplus Mag Installation

This is my first post so if I'm doing it wrong chalk it up to my inexperience and feel free to offer constructive suggestions.

I have a 1917 Powerplus that I aquired in running condition a number of years ago. At the time I bought it it was running on a Splitdorf Mag-Dynamo. A Dixie Model H 42 degree mag came with the bike. I was told by the seller that the Splitdorf had some potential long term use problems and that the bike had run well on the Dixie before he put on the Splitdorf. He told me that if I ever needed to re-install the Dixie that the timing needed to be "one tooth off" of where the Splitdorf was set.

Well the Splitdorf failed about 12 years ago and the bike was pushed into the corner. Now that I'm retired I want to get it running again. When removing the cam cover to replace the Splitdorf the timing gears fell out even though I was trying really hard to aviod that. I'm ready to install the Dixie (it has good spark) but I'm not sure where to set the timing mark. So after this long story my questions are:
    1. Does it surprise anyone that the timing would be different for the two mags (sorry I don't have the model number of the Splitdorf - it's off at the repair shop).
    2. What distance below TDC on the conpression stroke of the front piston should the mag fire (at full advance)? Is this the correct way to time the mag if you don't want to trust the marks on the gears?
Working...
X