Qualifications for judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifications for judging

Hi guys, I am the proud owner of a 1957 Sportster. I bought it back in 2006 as a chopper and since then have spent years, lots of money, and a ton of research restoring this machine to original condition. I am happy to say I am just about ready to assemble her. I know I have said this before but I think its really going to happen this time. Anyway I want to bring it up to Rhinebeck, NY this June for the national meet. I am very eager to have it judged to see just how well I did with my research and my restoration. I am reading the judging handbook and noticed that the basic qualification to be judged is that the frame and engine has to match. My problem with that is that my motorcycle was again chopped when I bought it. The neck had been badly cut with a torch and molded over with body filler. The rear gas tank mount where the date code is stamped was ground off the frame. I had the frame professional repaired and had a NOS neck re-installed and had to fabricate my own rear mount for the stock gas tank. Everything fits and it works but how can I prove that my frame is in fact original and matching the motor without that date code? Does this disqualify me from judging?

I wish I had read the judging rules before I started the restoration, like I said I have spent a lot of money and time seeking out and finding original parts, most of them being NOS. All that I was really able to use was the motor and the frame, everything else I found and restored to make this machine correct. So I guess I'm asking was all my effort, time, and money a waste? Or can my machine still be judged? Regardless if she can be judged or not, I think my Sportster will be one of the best examples of a 1957 Sportster you will ever find.
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

"Incorrect frame," an entire repop frame, is only a 6-point deduction, not a DQ, Powerlifter. Just a little misconception, there. Is there enuf of the frame left to see that it really is a Harley Sportster frame of the correct type, tho repaired? (does it have casting numbers, like "123-52" or whatever they are, on the lower rear, under the seat, and on other forgings/castings that are original to the frame?
    A "repaired" frame isn't an "incorrect" frame. There are plenty of other qualified National Judges on here, but, depending on the quality of the repairs, I think it may be only a graded deduction, or none. By all means, bring it out, and give it a chance. If you finish it !
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Yes the rest of the frame is intact. there are casting numbers under the rear of where the seat would go, also down the side of the rear down tubes, and a couple of other areas. The top motor mount is also there and research tells me its a Sportster based on the casting style that was used on Sportsters Vs. the K models. Well it should be done, I have every intention of finishing this thing. Nothing should stand in my way now, although every time I said thats the last piece, I found something else I needed. I had purchased some aftermarket parts when I started this project, but a long the way found originals, but needed restoration. I just found an original headlight bucket over the winter with the GUIDE stamping on the back, it did however have some hairline cracks in and the chrome was bad. I am having it professionaly repaired and rechromed, just one more piece of originality. I think as of right now my only aftermarket part used is my handlebars which are speedster style but not originals. Everything else is original(restored) parts.

You made me feel a lot better, I thought for a second I wasted all that time and money. See you at Rhinebeck.

Thanks, Paul
      New York City
      1957 Sportster
      AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

nah no worries

You never wast your time and $$ if it's your passion ..keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Make sure you register for the timeline online at the Rhinebeck website. We would love to have you. D.A.B.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

post photos of what you have? there are a few of us on the amca forum restoring '57 XL's (myself and Moon Wolf included)

Comment

Yea, photos, we love to see photos.

Comment

Working...
              X