1976 Fxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Fxe

I just joined this club but have been around for a long time. Although the bike I'm restoring is one year shy of being an antique, next year I would like to get the bike judged by AMCA standards, so bear with me, besides my other bike is a 1948 panhead. The bike I am restoring is the second motorcycle built by Harley Davidson in 1976, a vivid brown FXE which I believe is the bike pictured in the sales brochure used in 1976. There are several parts used ( stock) on this particular bike which were used on the 1975 FXE but were changed on the 1976 FXE. My bike came stock with a bendix carb and it is still on it, almost every 1976 I have encountered has the replacement Japan carb Kiehn on them. Does anyone know when this change took place in 1976? This motorcycle also had the " chrome tin top " voltage rectifier, or the 4 pin charging system.Almost every other 1976 I have seen has the improved 2 pin charging system with the 2 pin voltage regulating system, does anyone know when HD made this change? Harley Davidson is not very helpful in helping me identify if this is the bike is the same bike in the sales brochure. CAn anybody give me any help? thanks Bushog51

Harley Davidson is not very helpful in helping me identify if this is the bike is the same bike in the sales brochure. CAn anybody give me any help? thanks Bushog51

that's because they don't know!!!! they fired all the old guys and hired newbies from school. you're in the right place to get your answers or also try the caimag forum. welcome to the club

Comment

Thanks to Flat Happy

Dear Flat Happy, Thanks for the reply and welcome I understand about being newbees that is what is keeping HD alive today. I remember in the seventies when I would show up with my paycheck in my pocket, buying sportster parts to put on my "chopper" that HD didnt mind too bad that a young unkempt oilfield hand was there to spend his money. Today they dont have anything I can use beside "ching-a- lettas" and "geegaws" which I dont need, and dont want, and I cant work on the motorcycles that they sell like I can on my old timers. We all get older though, (somebody moved my cheese and I hate it) With me being a newbee to AMCA I am not familiar with caimag forum, could you explain? Thanks Bushog51

Comment

Originally posted by bushog51 View Post
        With me being a newbee to AMCA I am not familiar with caimag forum, could you explain? Thanks Bushog51
        Co to www.caimag.com and join in the fun. CAI= Classic American Iron.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          Co to www.caimag.com and join in the fun. CAI= Classic American Iron.
          But be prepared to be insulted, your posts harassed with replies like "ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz", and then have your words re-written by the moderator to change their meaning to suit his own agenda.

CAI owner Mr. Kanter made it clear when he said "I don't want to hear about Freedom of Speech."

.....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-03-2010, 07:14 AM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A 76 FXE should have the Keihin carb and the finned voltage regulator. That being said, there was no giant ax that fell to separate 75 from 1976. If your serial # is 9D10002H6, it would not be unusual to find some left-over parts.
            Good luck on the advertising verification, there is probably no way to be sure.
            VPH-D

Comment

There was also a front end change from Kayaba to Showa. I think you could find 76's with either one, early in the year for sure.
              Underdoggie
              John Underwood
              AMCA#14400
              Central Illinois

Comment

Working...
              X