Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprung Frame master link

Am I the only dufus that never saw Indian Service Shot number 180? It says:

"The spring clip on the rear drive chain connecting link is assembled on the inside rather than the outside, because of the limited amount of clearance between the kickstarter crank stop and the fender to spring frame slipper bracket bolt. When the chain comes loose, there is a possible chance that the chain connecting link will strike against the head of the bolt or kickstarter stop and get knocked off. Make sure when you reassemble the rear drive chain that you assemble the connecting link with the clip on the inside."

That's the complete undated service shot!
    Bob

thats interesting..............i run all my chiefs with the clip on the outside , no problems yet
    1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

Me too. I have a CH away from 50,000 miles on my 46 and I rode all over the country, often alone! I went past a Harley at 95 MPH 2 months ago, which is still on my trip. I even have a O-ring chain on and that's even wider than stock. I'm putting a new chain oin Spring, I'll definitly put the clip inside. I'm just stupified that after 40 years of building and riding Indians, I never heard of this.

Comment

I've got another one for you. I bought a "Diamond" chain many years ago, and the data sheet called the spring clip the "Unsprung Hero". I have mentioned that to biker friends and they just laugh at me.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Riot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks ERic

Comment

I installed an oring chain on and looked at about 200 miles and the master link clip was GONE..... The new one went on the inside.
            Ed Glasgow
            # 2053
            http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

Working...
            X