Black is Black...Continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black is Black...Continued

Hey folks, I read the prior posts about ideas for black frame paint and I have found some Dupont Centari 99A. However, the color is "pitch black". I don't want to blow big bucks on the wrong color so if any of you guys that use it could let me know if I have the right stuff I would really appreciate it.

Also, the guy selling me the paint also says he has a pint of "wet look" hardener for $21.50 and a quart of reducer for $8.50. I was wondering if these are also correct? It also seems pretty cheap for what you guys were talking about. Again, any help is appreciated.
    Eric Hitzel
    AMCA 14954

I for one am not happy with Centari 99A. I start out with DuPont VariPrim primer which is great stuff. It cost a small fortune. It's self etching. If you have bare steel it eats into it and bonds even with light rust. I shot Imron over this stuff for years and never had a problem. The Centari on the other hand chips right off even after the primer coat has been scuffed up with a stay-bright pad. I’ve decided not to use it again. The color isn’t bad for black. To much money though for something that has no resilience at all. I’m going to call my DuPont and PPG dealer this week to see if they can supply me with an enamel epoxy instead. The hardener that your dealer is giving is aftermarket. The DuPont equivalent is damm near $100.00 and that’s if you can find it. Unfortunately you’re stuck with that hardener. DuPont use to have a hardener that wasn’t so glossy but has stopped producing it. Use the VariPrim primer though. It’s a two part, one shot deal were PPG would require two shots to accomplish the same thing. And I’m not sure what the results would be. Anything else will chip off just like the paint. You got to have a strong binding base to start with. If I find something this week I’ll let ya know. Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by knuckjunky View Post
      Hey folks, I read the prior posts about ideas for black frame paint and I have found some Dupont Centari 99A. However, the color is "pitch black". I don't want to blow big bucks on the wrong color so if any of you guys that use it could let me know if I have the right stuff I would really appreciate it.

Also, the guy selling me the paint also says he has a pint of "wet look" hardener for $21.50 and a quart of reducer for $8.50. I was wondering if these are also correct? It also seems pretty cheap for what you guys were talking about. Again, any help is appreciated.
      That all sounds right to me. I didn't know you could still get Centari as I was told DuPont had discontinued it. I've been using Nason Ful-Thane Black which is a DuPont product. I love the stuff and I think it's tougher than Centari but delivers the same shine and mixes the same.

As for the "color". I mentioned this debate about black to one of the paint guys where I get my paint. First he laughed and then he made the comment that black is not a color. If it says black on the can it's black. . . Not light black, or dark black but just black. I have to admit that I have seen "black" from cheap spray cans that isn't really black, but when you get paint from a major manufacturer like PPG, R-M, DuPont, or Sherwin Williams it's black.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

In regards to hardener. I use the generic wet look hardener and it's just fine. As a matter of fact, I have used PPG hardener with DuPont enamels with perfect results. I do have one important tip; clean the cap and spout with lacquer thinner after you pour hardener from the can. Make sure you do a real good job of cleaning all traces of hardener and clean the foil seal in the cap too. It will last much longer if you do.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I use PPG paints, Nothing against Dupont but the PPG store is two blocks up the street. I use PPG Concept mixed in Ford black. It's a single stage urethane. I agree with Bob on the importance of the primer, I use PPG DPLF epoxy. Good stuff, even sticks to aluminum. Last I knew catalysts had a shelf life, weather opened or not. Why take a chance on stale hardener?
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks fellas. I am painting a 39 knuck frame and forks and want to make sure I only have to do this once. That chemical stripper is a mess!

Bye the way, if anyone knows a cad plater near western New York, I'm all ears!

Thanks again,

Eric Hitzel
            Eric Hitzel
            AMCA 14954

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              In regards to hardener. I use the generic wet look hardener and it's just fine. As a matter of fact, I have used PPG hardener with DuPont enamels with perfect results. I do have one important tip; clean the cap and spout with lacquer thinner after you pour hardener from the can. Make sure you do a real good job of cleaning all traces of hardener and clean the foil seal in the cap too. It will last much longer if you do.
              Eric I didn't understand what you were talking about until I reread this post. Last week I had to put the hardener can in the vice and remove the lid with channel-locks. To say the least. It's sound advise. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I've done that Bob. . . . And I bet I'll have to do it again.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                X