Podtronics regulator on Autolite generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podtronics regulator on Autolite generator

I know the Podtronics model 6-NE is intended for Lucas and Miller generators but I have heard they could be used to convert GAS generators to two brush units. I tried to do this.

I removed the internal ground on the field coils, soldering on a lead to the Podtronic and rewrapped and shellacked them as well. On reassembly, I left the third brush parts out and ran a lead from the positive brush to the Podtronic.

I strapped the generator in a homemade devise powered by an old swamp cooler motor, hooked up a good fully charged 6 volt battery and the amp meter set steady on zero or maybe just a few milliamps (or whatever less than one amp is) toward charge. I was pleased.

I then hooked up a badly discharged but good 6 volt battery. Now the generator is charging just over 14 amps. I don't think this generator will stand that level of output. Prior to this conversion, it would do maybe 8 amps when cold and as it warmed, it would do about 6 amps.

Am I doing something wrong or does the Podtronics unit regulate current to 14 amps??

Putting the third brush back in and running the lead from it to the Podtronic seems to defeat the purpose or does it???

PS - I e-mailed Bob Kizer from the Podtronics website a couple weeks ago but, as yet, no reply.

I've used the PODtronics 6-NE regulators on several Autolite, Harley and Splitdorf two brush conversions over the years with no problems. It's a great regulator. In your test with a fully charged battery, hook a headlight up and see if the output jumps up to compensate and then falls back to near zero when you remove the light. If it does, the regulator and generator are working together properly. You can verify your generator's max output by disconnecting the regulator, grounding the field coil lead that used to connect to the regulator. You'll now get max output. Probably that same 14amps you're seeing. Whether the PODtronics unit is designed for that level is a question only Bob can answer. I've never had a reported problem on an Autolite conversion. Those conversions were done in conjunction with a generator restoration so the field coils were replaced with GDE field coils, but my understanding is the only difference between GAS and GDE field coils is that lead that is grounded within a GAS generator but the GDE brings the lead out for regulator hookup as your conversion did. The spec in the Autolite manual for a GDE generator as used on Indians is a max output of 18amps. The GDE generator uses a different armature than the GAS generator (some minor difference like a couple extra wraps or a step up or down in the wire gauge), so 14 seems within the generator's design specs ... Perry
    Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 12-04-2009, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Perry.
      I can wire a headlamp bulb in a see what happens. I don't know what I was thinking, but as you said, I need to bypass the regulator and see what the max output of the generator is. If it charges beyond 14 amps, I'll know the regulator is controlling it to 14. Even if the max is 14 it still seems pretty high. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X