clutch rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch rod

i have reversed the clutch operation on my 47 cheif to match my harley knuck. jockey shift/foot clutch is confusing enough without trying to remember what bike i'm on. when the clutch is engaged the wormis sitting allmost at 9:00 position. according to the service book it should be at about 7:00 or so. i was riding in a toy run yesterday and the lever flipped up and went clockwise when i tried to release the clutch. this bike was a basket case when i bought it and i suspect the rod has been cut off shorter at some point as it is not long enough to allow the lever to be any lower in thew engaged position. can some one measure their clutch rod and tell me the length from outside the bend in the rocker pedal to the end of the threads? lmine is just under 13 inches. thanks

My clutch rod measures 13.25" and it's threaded through the clevis with threads showing so a 13.0" clutch rod would work on my bike. I did the same thing as you and made my clutch pedal work like a Harley. I can put up with all things Indian but not an opposite clutch motion.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

clutch rod

thanks for the measurement. i may have something else not right as the service manual shows the worm lever at abouy 7:00 when engaged, i'm nearly at 9:00 and if the lever flips up it want release when the pedal is pushed back. i had to tinker with the rod bends to keep it from hitting the pedal when al the way forward. i may have shortened the rod in doing so.

Comment

clutch rod

the rigid Chiefs used a shorter clutch rod, as their pedal was positioned differently. Sounds like you may need a 'Major' adjustment, as opposed to a 'Minor'. Minor adjustments are made by shortening, or lengthening the rods by screwing or un-screwing the clevis on the lever end of said rod, then locking it down with the jamn nut.
        'Major' adjustments are made by relocating the lever on the clutch worm hex. This will necessitate a whole new 'minor' adjustment procedure. The Lever has a hex cut into it, but is not centered in rotation. I think it's a 6 sided pattern. By not being centered, you can achieve 12 different positions, instead of just 6. By flopping the lever over, you will get a 'major' adjustment.
        Just take off the big nut on the end of the worm, flip the lever (after divorcing the rod), and you will get a "Major" adjustment.
        Way too many words, sorry.
        RF.

Comment

clutch rod

i understand what you are telling me, but i think my rod is too short to allow the worm lever to be set at a lower position. i had to tinker with the bends to keep the rocker pedal from hitting the rod when in the foreward position. i may have lost some length in doing so. i am wondering if the 13.25 measurement given is around the bends or end to end as the crow flies? actually if i had the proper length from bend to bend it would help in fbricating anew one.

Comment

Sorry I didn't get right back to you Larry. These are dim. of my upsidedown clutch rod.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

clutch rod

NOW THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED! thanks

Comment

Working...
              X