Horn Wiring question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn Wiring question?

Have not found an exact fit repro (or OEM) horn for the old Glide (without spending exhorbitant change for a part that will never be seen), but picked up a seemingly good used later model (80's) horn at a swap meet. There are two spade lugs on the horn..

the threaded part of the horn that goes the horn bracket is too short for the thick bracket on the '66, but it is an allen plug of sorts... it can be screwed out enough to go through the bracket and have enough threads to get the nut on, but it looks like it has a flat end that needs to touch an internal component of the horn? Does the horn ground through the screw/nut or is one of the spade lugs ground...and if the spade lugs are not ground, why two lugs? sorry...this sounds reallly basic but i can't get the damn horn to go beep beep no matter what i touch to what, so troubleshooting is becoming a pain in the ass... wiring diagrams just show button to horn and ground, but not very pictorial.

I'm not 100% certain, but isn't that allen screw for tone adjustment? If you back it out it won't be able to vibrate inside. Why don't you try and put some jumper wires on the terminals and touch them to some battery posts and see what happens. If nothing try turning that screw back in and do it again.

If the horn works get a VOM and check the continuity of the switch.

Comment

i'll bet that screw is for tone.. but i think my old horn had one wire, and grounded through that screw too.. i have touched a wire to everything, but i may have had that screw backed out a tad before i did it. I'll do some more checking..

Comment

If yours is a diaphragm type horn then Perry Ruiter posted a great article on trouble shooting them awhile ago and the link is still active.
        http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/hornrep.html
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Thanks, this helps!

Comment

Working...
          X