Triumph Frame ID Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Frame ID Number

In helping a friend find a matching-numbers 1969 Triumph Bonneville or TR6, we're4 getting conflicting information about the downtube where the serial number is displayed. Several bikes we've seen have frames with a flat spot that has been ground into the downtube to accomodate the serial number, which is very different from frames that have a raised boss that was cast into the frame so the number could then be stamped in.

Even so, we are told by some reputable sellers that the ground-in flat spot was indeed the way some early-1969 Triumph frames left the factory. Is it possible the Triumph factory had varying practices when it came to displaying frame numbers?

Any guidance you can offer is appreciated. Just trying to help a friend find a legitimate bike with matching frame and engine numbers the way Meriden intended. With the way prices on these bikes have escalated, it's important not to make a costly mistake.
    Jim Ramsey

Hi Jim, Can't say for sure about the 69's but in the seventys the frame numbers where found on the left down tube just about across from the ignition switch. There is no raised boss or ground flat spot, the numbers are simply stamped directly onto the down tube.

If you don't get any replies here then try here. http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/
    these guys have been a huge help for me on a current Bonnie I've been working on and surely they can help you as well. -Steve
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Trimph ID

Thanks, Steve.
      Jim Ramsey

Comment

The numbers were stamped into the steering head lug, not the down tube. If I saw a pre-1971 frame with serial numbers stamped in the actual "tube" I would be suspicious. Also, if I saw numbers stamped into an area that was obviously ground flat, I would be suspicious. That is not the way Triumph did this. The numbers were stamped into the forged steering head lug with no prior preparation. If the numbers appear to have been altered, I would not buy the bike.
        Also, look closely at the numbers. "T120R" and "TR6R" are stamped in a straight line because the numbers were stamped by a one-piece stamp.
        These letters will appear thinner than the actual sequence numbers. The sequence numbers are made by individual stamps, and will look like it, usually not being perfectly in line.

Comment

Britluv, Would you know what year they began stamping the numbers onto the down tube? -Steve
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Steve, Triumph never-ever stamped the frame numbers on the down tube, even from day one in 1902. I have, however, seen Triumph frames with numbers stamped on the down tube and one when the paint was cleaned off had five different numbers. It's a practice used in the UK by number plate dealers who can sell an original registration number for big bucks. What they do after obtaining the documentation for a registration number is to find a similar model and clone it with the documents numbers. This usually passes an inspection by the UK registration authorities who don't know better and will then re-issue the registration number, which can then be sold. Any Triumph that has it's numbers on a tube has been 'doctored' and you should be su****ious of it's pedigree, clean off the steering head and have a good look for the 'proper' number.

Comment

Originally posted by bilp View Post
              su****ious .
              I see the PC Police are ever vigilant.
              Doug.
              Doug McLaughlin #6607
              NorCal, USA

Comment

Working...
              X