Indian 741 Scout VIN question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian 741 Scout VIN question

Does anyone have a breakdown of the military 741 serial numbers and year produced? Looks like a 6 digit number on the left rear fork. No serial number on the motor but stamped AIMCO.
    Scott Larson
    AMCA #13589
    Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
    1971 HD FLH
    1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
    1973 Norton Commando 750

Hi Scott,

although my 42 isn't completly original my motor number starts with GDA22........something I haven't had a chance to look for any other numbers on it due to the build up of oil caked crud in places on the frame.

I have a book at home with a break down of some numbers I will check tonight when I get home from work.

Just curious what kind of sidecar does the guzzi have on it?
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

It looks like it should start with 741 but for some reason it doesnt? Looks like it may have been "modified". The frame # reads 7327XX and the 7 doesnt look normal. I cant see anything Indian that remotely comes close to the first 3 numbers. No title of course.

The Guzzi has a Jupiter (Sputnik) sidecar on it.
      Scott Larson
      AMCA #13589
      Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
      1971 HD FLH
      1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Hope This Helps

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
        It looks like it should start with 741 but for some reason it doesnt? Looks like it may have been "modified". The frame # reads 7327XX and the 7 doesnt look normal. I cant see anything Indian that remotely comes close to the first 3 numbers. No title of course.

The Guzzi has a Jupiter (Sputnik) sidecar on it.

Scott,

What I have listed in Jerry Hatfields book for 1941 30.50 ci Junior Scout numbers are as follows below.

civilian motor#EDA-101 and up
        civilian serial# 541-101 and up

military motor#GDA-101 and up
        military serial#741-101 and up

My motor number starts with GDA on my 1942
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
          No serial number on the motor but stamped AIMCO.
          I think AIMCO stands for American Indian Motorcycle Company. A parts dealer/rebuilder back in the 70s/80s. I think it was routine for them to stamp motors that passed through their hands ... Perry

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Now I need to decide what serial number to use that isnt already in use. Ideally, I would need to purchase a rear rigid fork with an original serial number stamped on it that came with a title.

Perry, I believe that is correct. I was told the cases were NOS packed in cosmoline and used to restore this bike.
            Scott Larson
            AMCA #13589
            Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
            1971 HD FLH
            1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Well I deciphered the serial number. I was looking for just 4 ending numbers and its got 5, making it a 1943 model. The first part of the VIN plate is damaged, but I can still make out 741327xx which falls right into the serial number limits for 1943. Bought some stamping dies on ebay and matched the motor numbers to it (GDA not 741) and started the title process. Thanks go to David Page (Australia?) who pointed me in the right direction. This forum is priceless when it comes to these old bikes!
              Scott Larson
              AMCA #13589
              Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
              1971 HD FLH
              1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Working...
              X