Hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubs

I just inherited a pile of bicycle parts that came with a motorized bicycle that I just purchased. I need pedal bike parts like I need a hole in the head but I did find some neat stuff in the old wooden boxes. My question is.........does anyone know how long New Departure and Eclipse made wheel hubs for? The hubs are all likely bicycle but a couple of them are pretty heavy duty and it's got me wondering.........
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Well to answer my own question.....partially anyway......New Departure is still in business!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

bike parts

Cory,
      Any Torrington pedals ,for adult size bikes? (number 10)
      Ken
      Ken S., # 6457
      1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
      1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

I will have a look Ken...........
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

There is a small box of pedal parts in the lot. They are however completely in pieces. I really don't know what they are for sure. Do you have anything for reference or are there markings I should be looking for?
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

I've got a 1911 Reading Standard with New Departure Coaster Brake. According to the GM Heritage Center New Departure began making coaster brakes for motorcycles in 1903. If you Google "New Departure Model A Coaster Brake" you will find some drawings. My brake is older and I'm having a tough time finding a drawing or parts. I'm missing something, just don't know what.

Comment

Let me do some digging. I can't guarantee anything but I'll take a look and see what I've got for literature....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Does this picture resemble what you have? If you could post a photo of your brake it would be helpful.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by c.o.; 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM. Reason: photo problems....
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Wow, My friend just contacted me about a New Departure coaster brake for his 1911 Reading single belt drive. He says the brake arm is held by 3 rivits and he needs parts desperatley or a whole assembly. Does anyone have a bearing race or a complete unit?? I can put you in touch with him if anyone has these parts. I believe the one pictured is the exact one he has.
                  Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 02-23-2011, 07:57 AM.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Any chance that the bicycle Bendix brake rear hubs (1950's and 1960's) could be modified to provide a temporary fix?
                    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

scan0003 (2).jpgIs it a New Departure-Corbin hub with a cast brake arm with two brake shoe's?

Comment

Thanks for the drawing!

C.O.'s drawing depicts my exact New Departure coaster brake and answers a lot of questions. Most coaster brakes use a multiple plate arrangement for braking, much like a multiple disc clutch. Mine does not. My brake has an expanding steel brake shoe.

Every brake drawing that I could find had a large brass coil spring, mine does not. "Google Patents" is a great resource. I found similar brakes & hubs with the following patent numbers:745,524 1,212,669 1,113,367 1,376,033. My exact brake is found under patent 952,622 (attached) but that hub drawing includes the large spring.

I could not see the purpose of the spring in my hub. Your drawing shows the hub, built without the spring. Long story short--I've got the whole thing and don't need to find the spring! I've ordered new 5/16" and 3/8" bearing balls on ebay to repopulate my bearing cages and will reassemble the hub this weekend. Here are some pictures. Thanks for the help!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cory,
                          I have a OEM set that is well worn,but wrong size,I did find a set of NOS #10 off e-bay,from a shop in Ohio.
                          Thanks for looking
                          Ken
                          Ken S., # 6457
                          1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                          1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

ReadingStandard1911!!! Glad to hear you've sorted out your hub mystery!

Ken, so you did find some pedals eh? Well that's good because I still haven't identified what's in that pedal box!!!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                            X