Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Deluxe seat 1947-1951???

Helllllloo everybody again!

Chris again with a question! "I only know that I know nothing". Ignorance is big! Thanks for your patience...

I recently bought the seat in the thumbnails below to "correct" somehow the one I have today in my 47 Knuck with the "high" seam line between seat cover and the Deluxe skirt. This one I thing is correct only from 1954 on...

Now this new seat I am talking about and asking about, even if has the right "low" seam line to the skirt and the skirt itself looks quite original to me, surprises me with a seat cover built by plastic and not leather as Palmer's book says (I think to remember cowhide in 1947).

Can somebody tell me wathever regarding this seat of mine based on the information I gave above?

- A full repro?
    - A late original "1947 style" seat but with already included plastic top? (1953?)
    - An hybrid between two seats? A late 195x plastic seat with an added 1947 skirt?

Any help appreciated, guys...

Kind regards from Tokyo.
    Attached Files

Chris--The seat you have pictured is a 1952 seat.--Michael 6671

Comment

Thanks, Michael! Can you tell the differences between 47 and a 52? (apart of telling me that is 5 years older...)

Comment

Chris--Here is a basic description of 1947--1953 Deluxe solo seats. 1947, 1950, and 1951 had an open seam leather cover ( read Bruce's description) and used the yellow on green rosettes ( with pointed ends) with a flat washer and nickle rivet, like the one in your pics. 1948--49 was a leather open seam cover with yellow on orange rosettes, flat washer and rivet. 1952 also used the yellow/ green combo but had a rolled edge Royalite morocco grain plastic cover. 1953 also used the rolled edge plastic cover but the rosettes were rounded on the ends and were red on white with a #12 finish washer and a nickle plated rivet. The 53 seat carried over to the 1954 models as well.--Michael--6671
        ( my source is Milsco Manufacturing Co. production drawing # H031, Oct 11, 1946)
        Last edited by Paquette; 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Wow! You were by far more precise than Bruce, Michael! Really many thanks for such a clear answer! Kind regards from far east! Chris.

Comment

Paquette,

I am just finishing my '47 FL and would like to use the Delux solo seat rather than the standard solo that I currently have. As you seem to be very knowledgable on this subject I would like to know who you might recommend as a seat supplier. I have a seat pan and would need the correct cover and valance.

Thanks,
            Bill Pedalino
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Hey Michael,
              How is the seat book coming?
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Bill

Mike Paquette is Worsham Castle. That is who just did my 1950 Delux seat for my hydra glide. I have to tell you it is perfect. that is where you should send you seat pan

very good person to deal with and as you see by his responses he knows his business
                Moose
                aka Glenn

Comment

Thanks Glenn - others have responded similarly. I certainly will contact Mike when I'm ready to do the seat-change.

Gotta love this forum !!

Bill
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                  X