Clear All

• Spring Fork Question

[IMG]
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I was going through some junk in the shed and found these spring fork forgings. I assume the 17 is late and the 3 is early which logically would put the 9 somewhere in the middle. Can anyone put a year spread on these pieces?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I have an original offset springer with a 17 on the front leg and both mine and my fathers 1941's have a 9 on the front leg with the raised hump in the center. My fathers 38 has a 3 on the front leg.

Comment

The number was the number of the mold used to make the part.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Matt and Chris. So the general concensus is the 9 is a pre-war type. Was there a model commonly used through the war?
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

There are other things to look for. Did you notice the difference of the center hump and lower lip on the three you have? That has more to do with it than the number.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, It sounds as though you know the answer. Or, where you thinking out loud.?
                ------------
                Steve
                AMCA #7300

Comment

I'm trying to get a general idea about what was out there and what years correspond to which shape and number. There are obvious differences in shape and there are changes in the last number. I only have 3 variations. Are there others?
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Never did get an answer to this question. Are there other spring fork configurations? I know there are other numbers. I had a 2. Are there other numbers?
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

i've been told that as the molds for the forgings worn out from use and as updates came into play the the factory made new molds and numbered them sequentially. they probably had as many as 6 molds in use at any given time but like chris said the number doesn't necessarily make it correct as much as the configuration on the forging itself. unfortunately the guy that told me this is now deceased

Comment

So, there are only 3 spring fork forgings types but numbers can be all over the map. I guess Matt McManus gives the closest year to configuration assessment. I was just curious if there was a missing forging type.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

none missing that i am aware of. there was always a huge pile on hand i'm sure and just because a bike may appear to have the wrong type doesn't make it so. they were more concerned with keeping up with production than following forging styles. i doubt they emptied the bin completely before restocking it when they were building forks. the earlier ones could have been on the bottom for months. they still aren't that accurate today. when i was working at boswells harley in nashville back in 95-6-7 i had to set up about 40-50 shriner's bikes every year and they had to be exactly the same. they weren't. some had a straight oil sending unit and some were at about a 45 degree angle. i had to make them the same. there were other things besides that but that is one that comes to mind

Comment

The 3 is an early, pre offset springer which is about 11/16" thick in the center. The 9 was the early forging, but machined to clear the steering damper tabs on the offset rigid fork. It was used in late '46 and early '47. It must be assembled with the notch facing the rear fork. The 17 was the last style, and was about 5/8" thick in the center. I believe it was introduced in late '47, and could be installed facing either direction without interfering with the steering damper tabs. It was probably welded and not brazed. This information is in the Harley servive manual.

Comment

Hi.
                              The numbers after the foundry mark are the pattern makers reference to a change made to the forge plates.

The change of a forge plate set could be prompted by the engineers wanting a thicker fillet in a corner or more thickness on a tube socket etc etc.

The other reason is that the forge plates were subjected to extreme stresses and they can crack or loose tolerances and need to be replaced.

I dont know what revision number corelates with each year of manufacture.
                              People "other than myself" know this info but it is fairly coverted information.

Best way to start logging the info, is from reliable sources "unrestored bikes".
                              Only pencil the info in untill you have a few of the same year.
                              The old bikes had inferior brakes and the dealers would have changed a few front ends.
                              Regards Steve
                              Steve Little
                              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                              Australia.
                              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                              X