Gas Tank Repair Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Repair Service?

Hi Guys, So my father completely restored an customized his Sportster XLH about 35 years ago and never registered the thing and it sat to collect dust in my garage for 35 years. He never drained the gas tank I guess because he never intended to let it sit for so long.....My problem is the inside of the gas tank is rusted....there are no holes thank goodness but it needs to be cleaned. I know there are places that will boil the tank and seal it but I don't want to go that route. I want to save the custom paint job my father did that he spent about $1500 on in the late 60's. Any place, any shop that can repair the inside of my fathers gas tank without damaging the paint job?

Thanks
    -Paul
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

hello paul---does your clothes dryer have an air only cycle? in other words it will spin with no heat on? i just cleaned a really rusty set of original paint tanks the other day by wrapping the tank with a lot of bubble wrap after putting about $10 worth of bb's inside and let it spin for about 2 hours. it shined up the inside like new and came out without a scratch. it might work on yours too. good luck

Comment

Thanks, I will try that.......A little worried about cracking the paint but I'll wrap it really good.

-Paul
      New York City
      1957 Sportster
      AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

Working...
      X